Fluval spec tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to see everybody's fluval specs. I think they're such interesting tanks, and I love seeing how people work with them! I've had one for about a year, and have reworked it several times, so I'll post a few of the setups. It was my first planted tank, and I'm super glad I got it!!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsnf8cckhk.jpeg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/Mobile Uploads/image_zpswxplscvo.jpeg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsp0ycghva.jpeg

Please post pictures of your fluval specs!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really like the third shot (driftwood, betta, neons)!

Saw this one at a lfs while visiting my daughter in MI, it was kind of my inspiration to buy the tank:

img_3306391_0_323da58ff833429bd39f3c5c714cc91c.jpg

My original setup was micro rasboras, pygmy cories, and shrimp:

img_3306391_1_7af9cddb532e66fb678dff2dad6e6a5d.jpg

Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):

img_3306391_2_1e4f46bf567254016a3a43c3c2e5ef62.jpg

I really like the third shot (driftwood, betta, neons)!

Saw this one at a lfs while visiting my daughter in MI, it was kind of my inspiration to buy the tank:

img_3306540_0_323da58ff833429bd39f3c5c714cc91c.jpg

My original setup was micro rasboras, pygmy cories, and shrimp:

img_3306540_1_7af9cddb532e66fb678dff2dad6e6a5d.jpg

Not long ago I redid the tank and moved it to my desk. It's now shrimp only (variety of Neos and CRS):

img_3306540_2_1e4f46bf567254016a3a43c3c2e5ef62.jpg

Awesome!! What do you do to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filter?

They look great!

Thinking about ordering one of these today. Quick question. Does the top come off so it's completely open? How hard is it to use a different light? Any concerns about the factory filtration? Anything else you'd recommend with this tank?

Ha ha. Well, I hope I like it like I think I will. I just bought two of the Spec V's to go in my kitchen.

They look great!

Thinking about ordering one of these today. Quick question. Does the top come off so it's completely open? How hard is it to use a different light? Any concerns about the factory filtration? Anything else you'd recommend with this tank?

Top comes off to an open tank. You could use another light, but this was a great job. Grows plants really well with very little algae. I've heard of people using finnex planted +s for them and they get tons of algae. The filtration works awesome, always super clear. I'd make sure you don't get a huge heater, that way it can fit in the back. Also, you could get your own media for to put in the slots in the sponge. I had dwarf shrimp get into the filter with all the slots, so either don't have shrimp, or somehow cover the slots so they can't get in, but water can still flow well.

Ha ha. Well, I hope I like it like I think I will. I just bought two of the Spec V's to go in my kitchen.

You'll like it! They're great little tanks!

Thank you for the info. I'm excited to get them.

Awesome!! What do you do to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filter?

After dealing with shrimplets getting sucked into the Evlove 4 filter I did a lot of research on this one. I use a media bag with a sponge to cover the top/main intake. Blocked that lower intake with aquarium sealant before I did anything with the tank.

img_3306576_0_417e3ae278333d9f1dffb108d846f680.jpg

They look great!

The top does come off but depending on location of the tank it can be a bit of a hassle if you use the kit light. Depending on what you're planning to keep I'd do the mods I mentioned for the filter intake.

I found filter output to be strong, even on the lowest setting. I ended up cutting a number of holes in the tube that connects the filter pump to the actual output. Made a big difference.

I don't use a heater. Water temp stays around 73.5° which is great for my shrimp!

I do think the kit light is a bit dim but I have a dark substrate so that could also make a difference. Hoping to upgrade the light in the future!

After dealing with shrimplets getting sucked into the Evlove 4 filter I did a lot of research on this one. I use a media bag with a sponge to cover the top/main intake. Blocked that lower intake with aquarium sealant before I did anything with the tank.

img_3306580_0_417e3ae278333d9f1dffb108d846f680.jpg

Ahh, that works! Did it not decrease your filter flow? I like the stronger flow. I aim it up to keep the top agitated.

Ahh, that works! Did it not decrease your filter flow? I like the stronger flow. I aim it up to keep the top agitated.

No, not at all. I actually ended up cutting some holes in the filter tube to decrease it even more. I have it aimed at the top but that just giving me a whirlpool! I really do like the tank but the strong output was mentioned by quite a few people when I was shopping and reading reviews. Definitely something that can be managed if neccesary and I wouldn't tell people not to buy the tank because of it.

img_3306600_0_1e4f46bf567254016a3a43c3c2e5ef62.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Very cool. I'm pretty new to aquariums. I have a SA/CA tank which, as I'm sure you know, doesn't allow for things like live plants and shrimp. That's why I've been eyeing the Specs for a month or two. If you don't mind me asking, what variety of plant and how many shrimp have you been able to fit?

img_3306619_0_1e4f46bf567254016a3a43c3c2e5ef62.jpg

Very cool. I'm pretty new to aquariums. I have a SA/CA tank which, as I'm sure you know, doesn't allow for things like live plants and shrimp. That's why I've been eyeing the Specs for a month or two. If you don't mind me asking, what variety of plant and how many shrimp have you been able to fit?[/QUOTE]

The big cluster is najas grass, there are also a few dwarf sag and a lone anubias.

I honestly have no idea how many shrimp but there are a lot! I recently added a dozen CRS to the already existing mix of Neos. I'm hoping to start selling in the spring but if not it's a fun tank to watch!

No, not at all. I actually ended up cutting some holes in the filter tube to decrease it even more. I have it aimed at the top but that just giving me a whirlpool! I really do like the tank but the strong output was mentioned by quite a few people when I was shopping and reading reviews. Definitely something that can be managed if neccesary and I wouldn't tell people not to buy the tank because of it.

Oh ok! I've always liked strong filters, and like buying bigger filters than needed, so this was perfect for me! But its for sure a sweet little tank!! I love how it's half the width of a 10 gallon, but just as long and tall. A bit awkward to aquascape, but once you figure it out, it's perfect for a desk.

I think it seems like an awesome tank for sure. I can't decide what nano fish to put with some shrimp in one of these.

I think it seems like an awesome tank for sure. I can't decide what nano fish to put with some shrimp in one of these.

CPDs, ember tetras, neons/cardinals, Pygmy cories, Ottos, or chili rasboras!!

I've kept a lot of different nano fish. Some other options:

green rasboras (M. kubotai)
dwarf amber barbs
micro rasboras
male Endlers

My current favorite are pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus). Really nice color, active, and peaceful with other fish.

img_3306669_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

I've kept a lot of different nano fish. Some other options:

green rasboras (M. kubotai)

dwarf amber barbs

micro rasboras

male Endlers

My current favorite are pygmy spotted rasboras (B. maculatus). Really nice color, active, and peaceful with other fish.

img_3306672_0_e38aa852b1fc8cac3e9d6204d6a70412.jpg

Those little guys are sweet!! Where'd you get them?! Would love some of those!

Back
Top Bottom