Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following

Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kuhli's are fun to watch when they are active but they can be pretty shy. I'd definitely recommend them though.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where are you buying the Manzanita from? I was considering it for my own 29g also
Old 01-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_117 View Post
Where are you buying the Manzanita from? I was considering it for my own 29g also
I have several sources I am considering. Working out some details but will post them here shortly.
What I am looking for is something in the 20-24Ē range, single trunk and branching (like a broom). The trunks will be placed in the upper right corners and fan out toward the center of the tank. Question I am posting to the vendors is natural versus sandblasted and why? On another site I got some feedback to that question from Tom Barr (Plant guru I have been following for years).
Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey Fresh. Happy to see you're starting another tank! I have Manzanita driftwood in my 55 and I went with the natural. Outside of getting it to sink I never have had a single issue with it. I prefer the natural looking brown to the stark white of the sand blasted, but that's just me. One thing I have noticed it that my wood is going on year 3 and it has definitely lost a good amount of mass to normal decay and collapse of the wood. Maybe the sand blasted wood won't experience that to the same degree?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

^^^ I think what you are seeing is the decay of the bark, though I thought it would have occurred in year one.
Yes, have not setup a new tank In a long time.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Fresh2oís 29g Blackwater Tank

Initially I picked up some spider wood and then was thinking I would be going with manzanita (Houston Manzanita and Manzanita Direct came to mind). So I went to the LFS to return the 3 pieces of spider wood because they were too small for the tank and saw several medium to large pieces of Eucalyptus Root. Spent the next 30 minutes on Google looking up reviews on the use of this type of DW. They were favorable. There was a 29g present in the store so I checked out the DW in various orientations and picked up one piece For scale, a 24Ē level:
One of the pieces I did not buy:
Next task is rinsing and soaking this thing. I have a rubber maid tote that should work. Mostly to get it to sink. I donít have a problem with tannins.
As for leaf litter, I already have some sycamore but I may trek into to woods this weekend to get other types (oak, maple). I was over-efficient this fall and left nothing in the yard.
Also picked up some pool filter sand this evening.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I vote orientation #3. lol I'm looking forward to watching this one play out. Maybe it'll give me some ideas for my 29. I like short tanks myself. I've always been happier with my 20 long than my 29...
Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfry53 View Post
I vote orientation #3. lol I'm looking forward to watching this one play out. Maybe it'll give me some ideas for my 29. I like short tanks myself. I've always been happier with my 20 long than my 29...

Thanks for the feedback. Have not had a ďtallerĒ tank (compared to 20 longs) since I had a 55. Much more room for activities.
I am taking my time with this build. I have a rough idea of what I want this to look like but that may change along the way.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thatís a nice piece. Lots of tannins in that one.

Tags
ate, black, blackwater, fresh, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com