Freshwater beginner 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poletap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the game and had some questions. I am trying to create a lake theme and seek advice on some catfish that don't get too big and compatible tankmates that resemble fish you'd see in the lake. I just filled the tank this weekend and currently trying to cycle the tank with some tinfoil barbs.

Attachments

• image-1587822129.jpg
    image-1587822129.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 133
  • image-3392615831.jpg
    image-3392615831.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 144
Welcome to AA! It's quite pretty with the moon lights. I like it! So you are fish in cycling with tinfoil barbs. What kind of cat fish are you looking into getting? Are you wanting one larger one or a school of smaller ones. I'm quite a fan of cories and bristlenoses. :)

Poletap said:
I am new to the game and had some questions. I am trying to create a lake theme and seek advice on some catfish that don't get too big and compatible tankmates that resemble fish you'd see in the lake. I just filled the tank this weekend and currently trying to cycle the tank with some tinfoil barbs.

Very nice tank, it looks fantastic!

I was interested in a cat species that don't get too big (about the 6" range) but big enough to hang with slightly aggressive cichlids. I've seen some that resemble perch at a glance (jack dempseys for example). More fishing pond than tropical or vivid.

I am wanting a small school of cats but not opposed to slightly different ones if that's not a bad idea.

Peaceful Tankmates

Hello Pole...

Corydoras are very peaceful and make good additions to a community tank. They're long livers and can get to two and half to three inches long. I prefer Panda and Orange Saddle Corys. I have some that are over a year old and just over an inch long. So, several of those would do fine in a 55 G, with other peaceful fish.

Mine prefer lower light, less than a watt per gallon of tank volume.

B

The tank looks great! You should take a look at pictus cats. They are easy to find, don't get very big, they're nice looking and super active. I don't know how they'd fair with JD's but they might work.

Thanks for the love.. I think I'm gonna try the pictus cats. Some pics of the living... I added a gar. I know he's gonna get too big, but I'm gonna hang wit em until about 5". He is such an interesting fish. I appreciate the help....

Attachments

• image-1206915893.jpg
    image-1206915893.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4271477259.jpg
    image-4271477259.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3514482278.jpg
    image-3514482278.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 124
It is a silver gar. I guess I got lucky on that one. I though I might end up with a monster in there. Thanks for the info. As you can tell I probably need to do some research...

You could also look into sun cats. I have two in my 55g. They top out at about 6" and are very pretty as well. They aren't as decorative as pictus cats and might look a little more natural for a lake-inspired tank. :)

I've never seen em but I'll check em out. Thanks for the tip.

They actually grow to 9", I must have hit the wrong number by accident. Still a good fish option for a 55

Back
Top Bottom