Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gravel to sand

Well, that was an experience. Felt bad cuz most of my Cory Cats had worn down their barbels, soooo....took all day & 2 trips to town (40 min away), but got it done in my 50g. Did lose a Zebra loach , no idea where . Very sad about that, but will get 2 more on Sat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1883120668.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	166875

Before

Name:	image-2557644241.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	166876

After

Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good! I'm in the process of switching from gravel to sand. Just curious how much sand you used? I have a 55 gallon and bought two .5 cu ft bags...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was 20 lbs of 2/12 gravel. It s a little coarser than sand, it s what my LFS uses. Acts like sand tho, just won t get in the filters as easily. Also, put Eco Complete under it for my plants even tho they re low light. Just hope their little barbels grow back. Trying to be a good fish owner. The best part was, I finally! caught the lone Penquin Tetra I could never catch, so he s in another tank & will go with me Sat to join his own kind. Was pitiful watching him trying to school with the Oto s.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well originally I bought play sand. I've scratched that idea after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums. I want something with a more uniform look that won't compact as much. I'm thinking of pool filter sand as another option? I will check out what you used . Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like it! Looks real good.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
Well originally I bought play sand. I've scratched that idea after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums. I want something with a more uniform look that won't compact as much. I'm thinking of pool filter sand as another option? I will check out what you used . Thanks
I've used play sand before and just got another bag to redo my 17.5g with. If your worried about compacting get some Malaysian trumpet snails. They burrow through the sand and keep the sand un compacted and act like fresh water earthworms. I use them in all my tanks
Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Slightly off topic but, could someone reassure me that the Cories barbels will grow back in time?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they will grow back but it can take anywhere from 6-8 Weeks. During this period of regrowth make sure that the water is clean and they are in a healthy environment so they don't develop an infection. Damage to the barbels can cause major infection and/or death.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the reply. Wish I d switched the subsrtate sooner but hindsight .... Will watch them closely & do frequent water changes. Funny thing, they now school better than before. They re such sweet little things, hope they grow lovely, long barbels!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
I've used pool filter sand many times. My cories love it!! They bury their faces right in going for food. I just threw a couple trumpet snails in there to keep things stirred up. It's so easy to clean that tank it's a dream. I just wave the gravel vac about an inch or so over the gravel and all the loose crap gets sucked up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-818928082.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	167376  

Tags
gravel, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com