Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, that was an experience. Felt bad cuz most of my Cory Cats had worn down their barbels, soooo....took all day & 2 trips to town (40 min away), but got it done in my 50g. Did lose a Zebra loach , no idea where :(. Very sad about that, but will get 2 more on Sat.

image-1883120668.jpg

Before

image-2557644241.jpg

After

Looks good! I'm in the process of switching from gravel to sand. Just curious how much sand you used? I have a 55 gallon and bought two .5 cu ft bags...

It was 20 lbs of 2/12 gravel. It s a little coarser than sand, it s what my LFS uses. Acts like sand tho, just won t get in the filters as easily. Also, put Eco Complete under it for my plants even tho they re low light. Just hope their little barbels grow back. Trying to be a good fish owner. The best part was, I finally! caught the lone Penquin Tetra I could never catch, so he s in another tank & will go with me Sat to join his own kind. Was pitiful watching him trying to school with the Oto s.

Well originally I bought play sand. I've scratched that idea after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums. I want something with a more uniform look that won't compact as much. I'm thinking of pool filter sand as another option? I will check out what you used . Thanks

Well originally I bought play sand. I've scratched that idea after reading a lot of threads here and on other forums. I want something with a more uniform look that won't compact as much. I'm thinking of pool filter sand as another option? I will check out what you used . Thanks

I've used play sand before and just got another bag to redo my 17.5g with. If your worried about compacting get some Malaysian trumpet snails. They burrow through the sand and keep the sand un compacted and act like fresh water earthworms. I use them in all my tanks

Slightly off topic but, could someone reassure me that the Cories barbels will grow back in time?

Yes they will grow back but it can take anywhere from 6-8 Weeks. During this period of regrowth make sure that the water is clean and they are in a healthy environment so they don't develop an infection. Damage to the barbels can cause major infection and/or death.

Thanks for the reply. Wish I d switched the subsrtate sooner but hindsight .... Will watch them closely & do frequent water changes. Funny thing, they now school better than before. They re such sweet little things, hope they grow lovely, long barbels!

I've used pool filter sand many times. My cories love it!! They bury their faces right in going for food. I just threw a couple trumpet snails in there to keep things stirred up. It's so easy to clean that tank it's a dream. I just wave the gravel vac about an inch or so over the gravel and all the loose crap gets sucked up.

Attachments

• image-818928082.jpg
    image-818928082.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom