Gravelling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgetheplec

Aquarium Advice Regular
:popcorn:

I have decided im not going to get stressed about it...so, here goes...my effort so far...
img_2717195_0_13d0ecc61edbd00b7ae0382bb602b25e.jpg

My 'Pathetic' Tank. yeah, yeah...so what... SKINT NOVICE :fish1:
Bought it from Craigslist. It's 4ftx2ftx1ft approx. there was fish with it,

I have a canister filter...this one...Welcome to API Fishcare: API FILSTAR xP-M
so far so good, i am impressed that it didn't leak all over the place, i think its been running over a week, (useless with dates) since i put it in, i like the idea of the disconnecting and reconnecting, makes it a whole lot easier, than having to lift out sopping wet filters and brushes out of the filter and dripping fish water everywhere... i guess i will have to keep a check on the seals (they look like rubber rings) in the future, just to be safe.
i gave it a bit of a clean and put it all back together.
it is a lot quieter than the previous filters i had, and there is less water loss through the week...in comparison.
i am so far...happy with it.

img_2717195_1_07b805e64f925acc4e0642dbcac75cbe.jpg

George, My Plec.
george was a suprise, we lost a few others, austrailian rainbows, angelfish, and different tetra, but, prior to good advise, even though i put less back than was lost, i now know i have overstocked, and i am working on this, no need to grief me about george...i know! and i am doing my best to keep him happy.
he is approx 13in, and loves courgette.

img_2717195_2_4ff33e900c53d20fbc3bec6155921676.jpg

On a mission.
i took everything out, all the small rocks and pebbles, took out about 40% water, mainly because i didnt much fancy a Eureka! moment. removed all the glass beads, they won't be going back in...
sucked out a bit more of the waste.

img_2717195_3_859fe8d6a7bb8f349d5be6fc3bae9db0.jpg

putting in gravel.
I had a few thoughts on this, and went looking round the house for things to use, which wouldn't be missed, as i am keeping it all in a separate place so it doesn't get used by humans...for humans...
a large plastic colander, a plastic sieve and a very large pan. i ran the gravel through the colander, and put it in the pan, bit by bit, did my best to get off any excess dust, once the pan was full, i used the small sieve, in pic, to put the gravel into the tank. i got two bags, but only used one.

img_2717195_4_bd453db3b7a3bb763d18bb4b0b79fef9.jpg

i put back the air stones, i have one of those splitter things for the air lines, so the pump can run more stones, but, ill stick with a small one, a medium and a large one, id like to get another 'curtain' stone, (sorry, im pretty useless with what stuff is called)
I've kept the resin rock thingy which i have a couple of live plants attached to it,they're doing quite well...I'm going to place in the gravel at a later date. i have some grass type plant which i attached to a 2x2in square of the net you get oranges in, and ive buried this under the gravel and pebbles, hopefully it will take hold and give a nice grassy area, if george doesn't go nuts munching it.
buried what could be buried, and positioned what needed positioning.
i continued to fill the gravel pile, and smoothed it out...its about an inch deep.
my youngest stepdaughter has collected rocks and pebbles from places she has been or her dad have been, so rather than have them dotted all over the house, she agreed to let me use them in the tank, at least they're all in one place now.
i got rid of the plastic rock which was on the right, which i didn't like anyways, the red fluffy things have gone too.
there is a big empty void in the middle, because i have a chunk of driftwood on the go, there has already been a lot of yellow come out of it, and it isn't going anywhere near the tank until the water is clear!

img_2717195_5_4f0490158cf7a6a3410d06d7bdb83a49.jpg

Blue Light.
I'm not sure about it, so i just put it on to take the photo.
i topped up the water by putting a small plate on the gravel and aiming for that.
img_2717195_6_7cfa3959afef53225083322cb94ddaaa.jpg

still alive.

I've had the tank since May, still learning, lots of reading, just wanted to share.
its settling down nicely.

Last edited:
You seem to be making good progress. The wood looks like Mopani, it could take several months to leech out all the tannins. And nice looking Pleco!

You seem to be making good progress. The wood looks like Mopani, it could take several months to leech out all the tannins. And nice looking Pleco!

its morpani, im constantly rinsing the yellow and putting in fresh, boiling, and change the water again, the yellow isnt too bad now...probably another few hundred pan fulls to go lol

Back
Top Bottom