Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
A painted Glassfish perhaps? You mean behind and to the left of the Albino Shark, right?

Right that is the clear fish I don't know the bread of.

Here is a picture of rainbow fish.

Attachments

• image-30207071.jpg
    image-30207071.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 77
Weedge said:

Indian glassfish. That one looks like it's been tattooed. I'm against them, only because the tattooing process makes them weak and disease-prone.

As for the flagfish we can't really say anything unless we know ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH levels.

Weedge said:

I know everyone is harping on you...so I don't want to continue it, but check out how Painted Glassfish are produced...it's a practice to avoid in the future when picking fish.

Anyway, it's hard to diagnose a fish without knowing parameters in many cases. Does the fishes gills and fins look normal? Any tears, spots, bulging eyes, etc...?

You really don't want to start any medications or do anything drastic unless you know specifically what you're treating. You don't want to do anything crazy like adding random medications into the tank. The best first step is water changes (using a quality water conditioner) for several days, and trying to provide accurate test results.

If the fish is new, he may be having trouble acclimating to the new tank, it may be a mini-cycle from different causes, a plethora or diseases, parasites,infections, etc... Unfortunately there's just too many possibilities to draw any conclusions from with the information we have :(

He's dead it appears. She is setting on the bottom not looking well.

Attachments

• image-598547473.jpg
    image-598547473.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2181138242.jpg
    image-2181138242.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 84
Tell me the brand and stuff of the best tester I can buy. I wanna find out why this fish died I drove a long way to go get this pair of flag fish and I have watched these fish close they were not attacked the other fish have not done anything to them it was something else. So what is the best tester money can buy.

I change about 1/4 the water every 4 weeks. And about 1/2 every 6 months was going to do the 1/2 change this week and redo some of the scenery. I found some real nice big rocks that will work for natural hiding places. I truly thought this pair would be able to bread in this tank. That was so happy looking first few days.

Changing 25% of the water every week while using a quality dechlorinator (like Seachem Prime) really is suggested to prevent your nitrAtes from building up and causing other problems with everything from dissolved solids buildup to pH crashes. Fresh water is probably the most important aspect of fish keeping.

I'm not saying this is the cause...but there's a such thing as nitrAte shock. Fish can be acclimated to higher levels of no3 (which is caused by too few water changes)...but if a new fish is introduced into those levels it may be too much for them. Something to consider. I'd definitely do some research on stocking, compatibility, routine maintenance and also proper acclimating (if you don't already have knowledge on those things).

Also, I saw you had an earlier thread about a sick Danio...and you got some fantastic advice on that thread about your stocking situation. IMO, you really should look at working out the fish you currently have since there are some big incompatibilities before adding any new fish. I don't want you to feel like we're lecturing you...but we suggest things to help improve the welfare of your fish, as well as relieve some of the difficulties of keeping them healthy.

Good luck, and I'm sorry about your fish :(

Weedge said:
I change about 1/4 the water every 4 weeks. And about 1/2 every 6 months was going to do the 1/2 change this week and redo some of the scenery. I found some real nice big rocks that will work for natural hiding places. I truly thought this pair would be able to bread in this tank. That was so happy looking first few days.

IMO i think your waiting way to long I do them every other week or so, It could have been high levels of nitrate that did him in since your changes were spaced out long. Stress from going into a high peram tank could be the cause

eco23 said:
Changing 25% of the water every week while using a quality dechlorinator (like Seachem Prime) really is suggested to prevent your nitrAtes from building up and causing other problems with everything from dissolved solids buildup to pH crashes. Fresh water is probably the most important aspect of fish keeping.

I'm not saying this is the cause...but there's a such thing as nitrAte shock. Fish can be acclimated to higher levels of no3 (which is caused by too few water changes)...but if a new fish is introduced into those levels it may be too much for them. Something to consider. I'd definitely do some research on stocking, compatibility, routine maintenance and also proper acclimating (if you don't already have knowledge on those things).

Also, I saw you had an earlier thread about a sick Danio...and you got some fantastic advice on that thread about your stocking situation. IMO, you really should look at working out the fish you currently have since there are some big incompatibilities before adding any new fish. I don't want you to feel like we're lecturing you...but we suggest things to help improve the welfare of your fish, as well as relieve some of the difficulties of keeping them healthy.

Good luck, and I'm sorry about your fish :(

Lol you beat me to it

I am Not going to add anymore fish. I will however try to get the female flag fish rehomed so it don't die. I think the diano will die to. I'm going to buy the test kit ASAP I may go tonight and get it. And I'm changing 1/2 the water in the am. I have 10 gallons of water waiting to go back in its place. Fresh clean water. Thx for everyone's advice. I just wish I asked soon enough yo save the fish.

Weedge said:
I am Not going to add anymore fish. I will however try to get the female flag fish rehomed so it don't die. I think the diano will die to. I'm going to buy the test kit ASAP I may go tonight and get it. And I'm changing 1/2 the water in the am. I have 10 gallons of water waiting to go back in its place. Fresh clean water. Thx for everyone's advice. I just wish I asked soon enough yo save the fish.

Just a quick question on that...by having water sitting out...is that what you do to remove the chlorine? If so, that's an old-school technique that really doesn't work anymore. The municipalities now use a form of chlorine that doesn't evaporate out, and a quality water conditioner must be used. It's fine to use water directly from the faucet...just make sure you are using the dechlorinator when you change it. All small things like that can contribute to bigger problems. Again, not necessarily the cause for the Flagfish...but an example of little tips you should pick up in order to have a healthy, established and stable aquarium.

Make sure you keep us posted when you get your results :)

I did a 50% water change and all the rest of the fish seem fine. I did go to buy a kit couldn't find 1. I ended up loosing 3 fish. But it all seems fine now.

Back
Top Bottom