Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weedge

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is my American flag fish doing it's a male he's not dead he swims really hard at this spot then lays still for a long time. Please help decide what is going on.

Picture of him.

Attachments

• image-4018038123.jpg
    image-4018038123.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
temperature is 74-76 degrees. Ph level is perfect. Ammonia level is perfect. Had water checked at the pet store they ran very through check. It has 2 placos. 1 chinese algae eater. 1 rainbow shark. 1 rainbow fish. 2 platys. 1 gold fish. And 1 clear fish not sure it's bread. The clear fish rainbow fish and gold fish school btw. There is also the male and female American flag fish.

How long ago did you set the tank up and add the fish? Do you know your actual levels, or did the store just tell you they were good?

Tank is 2 years old. It's 55 gallon. There is no way it's over stocked there is barely 15 inches of fish and I don't know the levels they just told me my water is perfect.

I did just add the flag fish a week ago others have been here awhile.

Weedge said:
Tank is 2 years old. It's 55 gallon. There is no way it's over stocked there is barely 15 inches of fish and I don't know the levels they just told me my water is perfect.

The goldfish, rainbow shark, algae eater and plecos are all contributing factors to why the tank is overstocked.

Their definition of "perfect" compared to the one on here may be very different. Were thy testing with strips?

Weedge said:

Ah jeez. "inch per gallon" rule is basically bs ok? Rainbow sharks are very territorial and need space. And if the rainbow fish you have is another rainbow shark then definatly not good. And the plecos. Common plecos? If so, those can get to a foot each, maybe more. Sure maybe there small now but you have to stock fish based upon their adult sizes. Also, dont believe fish stores most of the time about your water quality or fish advice.

Weedge said:
temperature is 74-76 degrees. Ph level is perfect. Ammonia level is perfect. Had water checked at the pet store they ran very through check. It has 2 placos. 1 chinese algae eater. 1 rainbow shark. 1 rainbow fish. 2 platys. 1 gold fish. And 1 clear fish not sure it's bread. The clear fish rainbow fish and gold fish school btw. There is also the male and female American flag fish.

Oh and plus your "clear fish" is an albino red tail shark. Also not compatible. Abd the simease algea eater will eventually kill your other fish once it is bigger

The fish are all small and the placos are at most 1.5 inches long. I have had to rehome 1 before the rainbow fish and rainbow shark are not same kind of fish and have been in tank since it was new along with the Chinese algae eater all been together since start of tank. Gold fish is 2 inches long. So the flag fish's mate does not do this digging or what ever is going on. She does however tend to chill at the bottom setting still for long periods.

Gboy66 said:
Oh and plus your "clear fish" is an albino red tail shark. Also not compatible. Abd the simease algea eater will eventually kill your other fish once it is bigger

Here is a picture of the clear fish next to the rainbow shark.

Attachments

• image-313010757.jpg
    image-313010757.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 87
Ok enough about your other fish then, if you take the advice and rehome them great. Now about your flagfish. It he ever picked on by the others? Try a 10-20% water change every day or every other and see if that helps. Also, buy a master test kit so you can find the perimeters yourself and know the numbers for sure

Weedge said:
Here is a picture of the clear fish next to the rainbow shark.

This is a better picture and you can see part of the rainbow fish

Attachments

• image-471461712.jpg
    image-471461712.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 74
So final advice is water change?? If I test water myself and it comes back perfect as they said is there any other idea why the flag fish seem to be laying on the bottom. Even trying to move rocks around. And such?

The fish in question is the one in the center. Not sure About the one your talking about... Could we please get a pic of the rainbow fish now?

As for the original question...it's really hard to tell what is the problem with your fish without full water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH). How often do you do water changes? A good rule of thumb is that the first thing to do when something is off is to do a large pwc. I'd start there, monitor his behavior, pick up a quality liquid test kit (don't trust the pet store when they say it's "good") and let us know what you find.

Back
Top Bottom