Help! best way to transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbeno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, wich is best way to transfer goldfish that's in tank in a very warm climate, into a pond wich is around 50f 10c, and will they go into hibernation from tank to pond ?
If so I wouldn't need a bio filter is this correct ? Just oxygen I suppose is needed
Thanks in advance
Rob

• Take the fish out of the tank and put them into a bucket or bag of your tanks water.
  • Float them in the Bucket or Bag for around 15-20 minutes.
  • Pour them in.
Goldfish don't really go into a "hibernation", but kinda like it.

They basically stay motionless at the bottom of the pond until winter is over and the water warms up.

A bubbler should suffice, but I recommend that you get a powerful air pump and a large airstone for the most oxygen as possible.

Once the warmer weather starts to roll around, though, I would recommend that you re add or add a filtration system to the pond.

Also, what kind of goldfish are you transferring to your pond for the winter?
<If it's fancy goldfish, I recommend that you do not so. If it's the common type, it should be ok>.

I am doing the opposite. I am trying to transfer my goldfish from my pond to my 3 tanks but I am in the process of cycling them. It is getting cold here and I have no way of keeping the pond from freezing over. I have a 120 gallon pre-made, plastic pond but next year I might take it out and dig me a bigger pond :)

I would say take 5 gallons of water out of your tank and put a few fish in there. Then put the bucket in your garage or somewhere cooler and let the water temp slowly drop. Then put them into the pond once the water temps have matched.

Back
Top Bottom