Help ID my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caroline79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am new here still working out how to use this site;) I have a fish and the pet shop did not know what it was, It was the only one of its kind in the tank .They said that it could be loach ,But it does not have a sucker mouth any ideas?

I am looking to get some dwarf puffers after I do more research the shop said that they need brackish water but dwarfpuffers.com say they are fresh water which is it ? I know that all baby's are fresh and change as they age but are dwarfs the only fresh water. Need to get a new 10 g tank just for them and cycle it first.

image-4275213638.jpg

Duplicate posts removed. For new users, all posts with attachments & pics needs to be approved, so if your pic did not show up, it is in moderation queue. Pleas be patient & we will get to it. Please don't repost in the meantime!

It's a little hard to tell from the photo, as the angle is a little oblique. However, it looks like it might be Rhinogobius duospilus. Do an image search on that name to see if looks like your fish.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
It's a little hard to tell from the photo, as the angle is a little oblique. However, it looks like it might be Rhinogobius duospilus. Do an image search on that name to see if looks like your fish.

Tony

Hi Tony thanks thats the one ! The pet shop did not know what it was ! I saw it hiding it was the only one there they thought it was some kind of loach that had been munched by something so I got it for free! I knew it wasn't a loach . But did not know what it was now I can find out more now.cute fish .
Thanks

Glad I could help. The species turns up in the aquarium trade fairly often in the UK, so you should be able to track down more if you are interested. They are nice little fish.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
Glad I could help. The species turns up in the aquarium trade fairly often in the UK, so you should be able to track down more if you are interested. They are nice little fish.

Tony

Yeah i will keep an eye out for them. I saw a video on u tube someone had one in with a dp and it stole the puffers food!lol I have been thinking about getting new tank for dp , but reading up on them first. Some are sayn they are brackish , others pure freshwater ? Which is best?

Tony Gill said:
Note that this species is often sold under the name R. wui (though R. duospilus is the older, and correct name). There's some good information on the species on this website: Rainbowfish Forum :: View topic - R.Wui

Good luck.

Tony

Thanks that was a good read .I see u have one two I need to get worms for it asap it's been living on flakes and cat fish pellets for few month . Any ideas on dwarf puffers are they ok in fresh water ? Did u figure out how to add photos?

Back
Top Bottom