HN1 and severum mama's 5' 120 gallon journal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a first shot of the tank with substrate. We'll be running a Rena XP2 canister (already have) along with a Rena XP3 canister (on the way). Substrate is pool filter sand. This tank will be moderately planted with some tough plants like anubias spp., java ferns, java moss, etc. We will also provide some rock caves for the inhabitants.

Stock is... a surprise. ;)

A pic from tonight...
img_1671411_0_9708fe075f200628e5fe0991a7e8d309.jpg

That's a deep sand bed, particularly for a (relatively) unplanted tank. Just make sure the rocks are resting on the bottom of the tank rather than a couple inches of sand.

That's a deep sand bed, particularly for a (relatively) unplanted tank. Just make sure the rocks are resting on the bottom of the tank rather than a couple inches of sand.

You're right. We thought it would take 4 bags of the sand, but we added 3 bags and ended up with that. If we need to take some out we have plenty of other tanks we can use it in. LOL. We have a bunch of crypts (and other stuff) on the way that should do great in there with root tabs. I'd love to put some swords in there too, but a couple of the planned fish aren't so nice to swords.

The second filter (XP3) got here today and we just got it running. We'll get another update pic later. :)

you are both such teases...... for shame!!! :fish2:

TROLOL! ;)

Well, I guess we have made you all wait long enough. Here are a few update pics from a few minutes ago. :D

We added the heater this afternoon. It's a 500W Gen X titanium heater that we got in a trade a while back. I think it will be more than enough to get the job done. One of the best parts is the external temp controller, pictured here:
img_1674643_0_834b71998d4b2df15115c7753a2fccba.jpg

And another shot of the inside of the stand. Rena XP2 and XP3 are providing a nice amount of flow!
img_1674643_1_1739a4d517fab2dc9604a22f1449023e.jpg

And finally, a FAR-from-complete FTS. The light is temporary and will be shared with our angel tank until our new fixture arrives from FishNeedIt. Plants will be here Wednesday.
img_1674643_2_77c03a5f8234d91c723b4a8df7f2ecef.jpg

We are hoping to get a couple of fish in the tank tonight, so stay tuned.....

I'm curious as to why you have a filter on a bag of sand... I don't think filter sand is designed for that purpose ;)

I guess I should be considered lucky that I know the stocking plan? :):):)

I'm curious as to why you have a filter on a bag of sand... I don't think filter sand is designed for that purpose ;)

I guess I should be considered lucky that I know the stocking plan? :):):)

LOL. The hose on the left side of that filter is a little too short. We'll have to deal with it eventually, but for now it is fine sitting on the sand. I also want to shorten the other hose. I just hate disconnecting them so that's the way it is for now. :lol:

First pic of fish in the tank! 2 adult Mesonauta acora that we were lucky enough to find at auction. They aren't wanting to cooperate with the camera tonight. LOL.

img_1674944_0_d55a98ce82dde61295495f91f491945b.jpg

Last edited:
Woah great looking fish! And i like that piece of driftwood, very classy ;) lol

severum mama said:
First pic of fish in the tank! 2 adult Mesonauta acora that we were lucky enough to find at auction. They aren't wanting to cooperate with the camera tonight. LOL.

Nice fish! Are these adult size?

Nice fish! Your tank looks awesome, as usual ;)

I am looking through you previous thread to see if I can get any hints on to what exactly this stock may be...unless of course you and HN1 deleted all your posts on what it was so no one would know :) :)

Tell me! I promise you, I can keep a secret. ;)

Betta rescue....right? But since the festivums are in there, maybe they changed plans? This is torture lol

Back
Top Bottom