Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skylane

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello guys, I need to set up a hospital tank 10gal, and I wanted to know what the easiest way. Not sure if I need a filter to do this or just use air stones and a air pump. I have some sick tetras and treating them for fungus in the mouth and maybe the body. It's for 7 days for the treatment, and any medicine you can suggest would be helpful.[emoji1]

Thanks ,
Clem

IMO id look at columnaris for a fuzzy mouth...

You can use a cycled filter or just an air stone. Air stone will require most attention to ammonia levels though so be aware.

Caleb

IMO id look at columnaris for a fuzzy mouth...

You can use a cycled filter or just an air stone. Air stone will require most attention to ammonia levels though so be aware.

Caleb
I purchased a filter today, an Aqua clear and I'll set up the tank tomorrow . I have a cycled filter above my 90, I can swap out the sponge and use it in the new filter, for seeding material to get it going .
Thanks Caleb.[emoji622]

Just a few tips, don't use substrate in the hospital tank. The fish may like a few small flower pots turned sideways for caves. Also don't use the carbon in the aquaclear. I use the ammonia remover instead but you could always add an extra sponge.

Columnaris seems to be going around a lot of members tanks. If it is what's wrong you don't want much heat in the tank and you may want to use a combo on kanaplex and nitrofurazone to treat the fish. If you want links to websites if you go to my thread in the unhealthy fish section titled 'what the heck is this' coralbandit provided several links about the different kinds of columnaris which I found helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks , Brenea.
I will check our the medicine that I bought, before I use it just has make sure.

Thanks Brennae. Forgive me for misspelled your name. Too early in the morning.[emoji15]

If you decide it is columnaris then you may want to consider treating the whole tank they are in?

Most times a fungus issue arrives after injury on dead tissue.

I think that's a better option C.B.
Well I guess I need to rethink this one , I bought Melafix from API brand which was sold to me from the lfs , but I will look further into other meds and not sure what I can find here in Canada.
Looks like the whole tank might treated , the tetras I had put in were the culprits since its only that group that has it. So, with that said should I do the whole tank, or try and catch those little guys in the big tank? That is a decision time now , and make sure I have the rite medicine.

Thanks, [emoji622]

Clem.

Well guys, I've decided to treat the whole tank. I did 20% water change,it was all the prepared water I had and got a new container, with a pump and tubing for the return water. I now added in the medicine I had bought to give it a try. I'm hoping the two schools of tetras that started this will get well, as for the rest of the community fish no signs present, keeping my fingers crossed [emoji1].
Lesson learned here when adding new fish to the tank!!!

Thanks everyone, as I will update on this.

Clem.

Back
Top Bottom