Inferno's Fluval Spec V planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Folks,

So I wanted to share my journey in making a home for my new crown-tail betta "Inferno" (photo below).

I will blog about my planted tank's progression as others have done.

I have purchased Caribsea planting gravel substrate and also Caribsea white aquarium sand to go over the top.

I have some sinking star wood I got from Ebay.

I also ordered some Sieryu rocks.

The plants I have ordered (and I pray keep tank algae down and do well) are:
-Dracaena sanderiana
-Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae (think that is dwarf hair grass)
-Eustralis stellata
-Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
and
-Hemigraphis colorata

I will 'chart' my progression here. Wish me luck.

:fish2:

Attachments

• IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 195
That is a wicked Betta! Love the fringes.
Not so sure about the dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo). I believe those are semi-aquatic bog plants at best; roots in the water, growth above the water line.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:bawl:Really?! That plant looks so beautiful. I cannot believe that guy sold me them as an aquatic plant. Well let me set everything up and I can see how it does :(

Thanks for your response.

SpecV Update! Inferno's housing...

OK Guys here is more progress with my tank.
:popcorn:

Just trying to get everything situated and find a layout that works best for me. :deadhorse:

Hope you are enjoying this. :D

Never seems to stop...
:infinity:

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 178
:bawl:Really?! That plant looks so beautiful. I cannot believe that guy sold me them as an aquatic plant. Well let me set everything up and I can see how it does :(

Thanks for your response.

First rule: Always research species before purchasing. Applies to fish, plants, and inverts. Make note of what is available and do your research (Google/AA). Most likely the item will still be there. At the LFS you are kind of put on the spot and you trust the seller's advice. Better to hold off and give it some consideration. Enough of the rant...
At first glance, IMO the DW screams symmetry; I'm visualizing an imaginary line between the pieces because they look like mirror images (they are not). Just first impressions.
How to do it differently? Perhaps have the DW branches pointing in the same generally direction maybe.

Yes I did some research. What I read online seemed to say all of these plants were OK for aquatics...clearly not.

Thanks for the layout input and I see what you mean. :)

I am limited as to how I orient the DW (due to tank size) and as much as symmetry drives people nuts (not natural looking) I like it to some extent. :hide:
:yin:
I think once I put in my plants it may make it look a bit more natural but I may try a few configurations. Before I add fish/inverts I let a planted tank "breath" for a while so I have plenty of time to adjust everything once it is set. :frog:

Thanks again!

OK Guys here is more progress with my tank.
:popcorn:

Just trying to get everything situated and find a layout that works best for me. :deadhorse:

Looks like a great start. I agree with Fresh2O: that dracaena is more suited to a paludarium. I think it will melt after a few weeks submerged. :(

As for the wood, the arrangement looks fine to me, but I would want to hang moss on it to go for a tree effect. As it is, it disturbingly reminds me of a facehugger from Alien... :eek:

The sponge over the outflow intrigues me, as I'm getting a spec V for a betta later this summer. Have you tested it yet to see if it strains the pump?

lol @ face hugger. Thanks for the input Barli!

Sadly I think you guys are right AND the "amazing" centerpiece may not fair well either as apparently it is ALSO a land plant!! FML. This online dealer (and the pet stores) mislead me on these plants! Clearly my own research fell way too short and I should have consulted the populace here.

Oh well, no time to start like the present so let me know if you guys have other colorful ideas for a pricey, colorful centerpiece plant (eye-catching, hardy etc). I am sure you are both right and these two plants will melt! :(

As to your question about the pre filter sponge:

It works great.

I have read reviews that say if you turn the pump to it's lowest setting it is still too much for bettas. I have the newer model of this tank (black box) and it comes with improved parts and a brighter "touch" LED lighting system for growing plants. I noticed that at it's lowest setting it seems like a very docile current flow through the tank so I may try it without the pre filter at first. I wonder if this gripe (from the tank review) was on the original model of the tank so the Fluval team took the feedback and improved on it like they did with the lighting system for this generation.

Anyway this "microphone" cover (as it looks) lessens or disperses the filter-flow even more...I am concerned maybe a little too much (as shrimp & plants need circulation) but we will see. I don't notice any difference to the pump (sound-wise or vibration-wise) when it is on. Just less flow through the tank.

Find me a freshwater plant that is not green, brown or red (hell I would settle for a cool red at this point) and I would be so happy right now.

So peeved at my seller!

Update #3 of Inferno's Fluval Planted Spec V tank

Plant implementation (and maybe good bye for some of them) :bawl:, toplayer Caribsea "insta-aquarium" white sand added.

"facehugger-symmytry" layout completed :lol:and plants going in. Hopefully the other plants fair well. More photos to come soon.

One a side note: Poor Voss (my other betta found in "New Aquisitions" section) developed a wicked case of pop-eye today so I am off to the grocery store for epsom salt for him. Poor little guy...this was so sudden and SEVERE. I hope he doesn't lose an eye! :nono:

I may post about it in the "Unhealthy fish" section. Treatment begun. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 148
Update #4 Inferno's planted Spec V final looks?

OK so here is what I have so far. How does she look?

:cool:

I am worried about over planting (lack of 02 at night).

What do you guys think? Too over-planted?

I don't want to add moss for the "tree-top" effect that Barli mentions yet until I know how fish would do in this at night with the 02.

Been cycling for a few days (photos were taken on day one) and I will upload a video in the next post!

Thanks for following the journey! :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 142
Update #5 Inferno's Spec V Planted: Video + 1 more pic.

Here is a video of the completed tank! :whistle:

The pump is going full blast (to help cycle) I am concerned about the 02 @ night based on something Delapool said in an "Overplanting" post I read.

I would put the pump to the lowest setting for Inferno (betta) first and see how he does.

If the current is still too strong I have a pre-filter sponge to apply to the filter-out nozzle if needed. This would to lessen the flow further.

Keep in mind this is 5-gallons.

Suggestions? Advice?

still time to rummage around (ruin symmetry if needed :angel: )

Thanks for watching!

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 96
OK so here is what I have so far. How does she look?

:cool:

I am worried about over planting (lack of 02 at night).

What do you guys think? Too over-planted?

I think you'd have to stuff it to the gills (ahem) with plants before you'd be in danger of oxygen deprivation at night. Have a look at the tank linked in my sig: it's heavily planted, but no troubles with low O2. I don't think you're anywhere near heavily planted.

One thing that helps is to aim your filter outflow toward the surface to curse it to ripple and break a bit. This will aid the gas exchange and replenish the water's oxygen.

Also, I don't think that center plant is aquatic either. As with the dracaena, I bet it will melt on you. I'm surprised anyone is still selling those as appropriate for aquaria. :mad:

Otherwise this is a great start. I like its placement on the divider between kitchen and living room (if I saw right). (y)

Thanks Barliman. What type of moss would you recommend for "tree effect"?

I am also going to need to replace that center plant and possible the bamboo. Anyone have ideas about colorful replacement plants?

Regarding the O2. I see your tank (it is beautiful), I wonder though because of the smaller scale of my tank (5-gallons) versus your monster and the size of the filter/pump if my "plant-load" footprint, if you will, isn't a lot smaller than yours. At night the plants will stop producing 02 and use it still...anyway thanks for your thoughts. I think it looks good! :)

Did you see the video? The drac is browning a bit in some locations and the center plant leaves are curling a bit showing their purple more than their green top (FML). :banghead:

I took the omni-directional nozzle off of the filter outlet because I thought it created more "turbulence" on the surface (shown in video). If I add it back I could direct the water more towards the surface but it may also jump out a bit and hit the lid (fountain effect).

Do you think I need more surface turbulence than what is shown?

Well, my "monster" is only 20 gallons. :)

Honestly, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Good water flow and some action to disturb the surface will do the trick. If you were to aim the outflow at the surface toward the far end, that should be enough. Take a look at the videos PeckTec has posted about his Fluval Specs and Floras -- those are *loaded* with plants, and he has no O2 problems.

As for moss, java moss should be fine, though a lot of people like Christmas moss, too. :whistle:

Tank looks great!:) I believe that is micro-sword you have not hairgrass and if you planted the fern make sure the rhizome is not buried. I love the driftwood and the plant in the middle is beautiful, hopefully it lives.

The best way to post a video is to upload it to YouTube (or other video hosting site) and post the link/URL to the video.
Regarding the moss and tree idea, if you want the greenery to point upward, look for flame moss. For the opposite effect you can try willow, weeping, or Christmas moss.
The windelov fern might do better tied to a piece of rock or driftwood than buried in the sand.
I would not worry about plants consuming too much oxygen at night at this point. The plants are new and are not fully established. This is a pic of my tank right before an auction; I let the plants overgrow a bit before trimming/cutting them down. Despite the plant density, I've not seen any instances where the fish were gasping due to low oxygen. Besides, the plants produce a surplus of oxygen during day.
q6waRI0.png

Bad news!

:( The misfortune won't stop. First popeye is destroying one of my new bettas and now I have issues with fish dieing in this tank!

Water parameters were good. It has been running for a few days all empty. I even took a water sample to petco (where they tested it as well) they used three different test kits to do so and also said I was good parameter-wise.

I put a butterfly loach, nerite snail and 3 amano shrimp in the tank this afternoon. They were happy and fine. I turned off the light like 6 hours ago and just turned it on...all dead except the nerite snail who is still rolling strong.

I noticed that the shrimp were crowded near the water intake when I checked on them when I got up to get water and the loach seemed slightly agitated near the top of the water but I thought they were dreaming maybe? I know I sound like a dumbass but I did.

I am glad I checked but I should have acted (I just had a feeling) :huh:...but they were all moving and I thought the shrimp were sleeping there. All of those signs would indicate 02 deficiency correct? In hindsight crowding near water intake (shrimp)...staying towards the top of the tank and moving gills faster (loach) are signs of needing 02. I can't believe I went back to sleep! I know I keep harping on the 02...but what else could it be?

The water again reads fine overall. They are a tad high in nitrates though which was probably from dead fish but the nitrates only read a little into the "stress" field and everything else is good.

What happened from the time I turned the lights out to now? My other two tanks were fine in the room and also had new shrimp added to them...so it has got to be the tank

PS: the nice purple plant in the center died...I took it out :( The seller said I can submerge it for "short periods of time and then must plant it outside (in terrarium) to let it regenerate." LOL basically killing it then healing it.

I will have to look for something red or colorful to take its place. I was thinking a tiger lotus or red dwarf stellata lily.

Thanks for the input on mosses I will check them out (and figure out how to affix them to my wood). I see you can buy some on mats...that would be easy to bend into place over the "branches".

I know that the fern would grow better on a log or rock but I have read that they can grow in soil (just slower). If you think pulling it up higher out of the substrate will help then I will do it. Does it have to be floating or just have some root exposed?

feeling pretty awful right now.
Oh well not much sleep happening tonight :(

Sorry about your tank :( I can't really help with my limited experience of these topics but I can wish you good luck! I believe in you and your tank :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You might be right about O2 deficiency in the loach's case, but not because your tank has less than normal. Rather, they have very high requirements. It sounds like he was in the wrong environment.

"Take the plant out and put it in again?" I'd stop listening to that guy.

Sorry you're having such hard luck right now. We've all been there. (And will be again. :hide: ) Just hang in there, learn from mistakes, and soon you'll have a happy aquarium again. (y)

Back
Top Bottom