Just got a 29g off craigslist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
so this will be my second tank!! two 29g, one for the bedroom and one for the living room! Just picked the tank, hood, lights, syphon(that connects to the sink), chemicals, heater, filter, airator, for 75....good deal? I think so! So now to decide what fish to put in there. Oh, its dirty, so how do I go about cleaning it. Its got some hardwater/mineral lines at the top, how do I clean it without taking the chance of putting bad chemicals inside the tank? Ideas please.:thanks:

Attachments

• IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 108
builtf0rdtough said:
so this will be my second tank!! two 29g, one for the bedroom and one for the living room! Just picked the tank, hood, lights, syphon(that connects to the sink), chemicals, heater, filter, airator, for 75....good deal? I think so! So now to decide what fish to put in there. Oh, its dirty, so how do I go about cleaning it. Its got some hardwater/mineral lines at the top, how do I clean it without taking the chance of putting bad chemicals inside the tank? Ideas please.:thanks:

What kinda filter came with it?

To clean the tanks that I've gotten use vinegar. It usually gets all of it off. If that doesn't work then use a razor, but be careful with that;). I can't wait to see you'll be doing with the tank!

that silicone should be fine right? and there is a crack in the plastic on the bottom. but it should be fine right

builtf0rdtough said:
what number would a school consist of? 5 or 6? or more like 10....

Schools are 6+ fish. It would depend on the tetra. If you did something like the ember tetra you could do 15 or so, cardinal tetras about 10 or the bleeding heart kinds 7-8.

So i could do a school of tetras, a rubberlip pleco, 2 corydoras, and an agel fish....would that be a full stock for a 29?

Move the number of corydoras up to 6 and I'd call it stocked! Just watch on the tetra types, some are nippy and will shred your angelfish:nono: Can't wait to see what you'll do with this!

would there be a better school fish to get besides tetras? ones that wont nip my beauty?

builtf0rdtough said:
would there be a better school fish to get besides tetras? ones that wont nip my beauty?

I do believe that cherry barbs don't nip, neither do zebras (usually). Most of the Danio species would be good, as would some of the rainbows.

Did you test that crack yet Ford?

nope, Im moving into the new apt april 1st. once I move I will test it, til then its just sitting in my living room looking ugly..lol. figured it would be best to wait to get it all set-up, just to take it down after 3 weeks.

maybe I will get neons, instead of zebra danios.....from what you all say, the actual neons are not as aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom