Just installed my new toy.. Aquatop CF-500UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So far so good ;)

I know it was a cheaper canister filter but I was looking for a "bang for the buck" deal. Setup was pretty straight forward. The plastic spray bar / inlet tubes feel kind of cheap, I'll probably buy some new ones that are built a little better some time down the road. Overall though not a bad deal on a canister that is "rated" at 525gph and has a built in the UV light, was only $120 to the door.

The only media that shipped with it was 4 filter pads. I removed one pad to keep as a template so I can cut my own instead of purchasing one from their site. The other three trays are as follows:

Top tray: 2L of Seachem Matrix
3rd tray: 12 pot scrubbies (sure they don't do much but it would have been an empty tray anyway)
2nd tray: 1x filter pad
Bottom tray: 2x filter pads

All in all I'm happy, here's to hoping the UV light well get rid of the green water that has plagued me for years...

Pic time (it's installed on the top tank, the red wolf tank)

img_1706958_0_141a25eefa7b2c054ec93c44a9cfb07d.jpg

img_1706958_1_02a6e5e3b1f53a84aff9bf5a9b54e1da.jpg

img_1706958_2_749d73e6a5d7b8c42f297d07ff45c56a.jpg

img_1706958_3_590ee5ba8af1dc702a08cf0c3c2a8995.jpg

Good luck with your new filter :) I think canister filters are awesome.

But shouldn't the filter be under the tank to get the most flow?

Ideally yes it should be.. but I can't place it there due to my over / under tank setup.

I've had this same filter for several months on my 115g and I love it. It's quite and has very good flow. Unlike yours, my CF500uv came shipped with media (bio balls, ceramic rings, carbon, and filter pads) I purchased it directly from Truaqua for $99 so maybe that's the difference (I still added extra media because the amount that was shipped was not enough). My trays contain the following:

Top tray: 1x filter Pad + Ceramic rings
3rd tray: 1x Filter Pad + Ceramic rings + Bio Balls
2nd tray: 1x Filter Pad + Carbon
Bottom tray: 2x Filter Pads

I too have placed my filter on the side of my stand due to the door openings being to narrow. You think a stand this size would have larger doors.

Great review. This is going to be my next big tank purchase. I've been on the fence on this filter since I found it browsing Amazon. I'm getting it now. I've heard nothing but good things.

I love aquatop products for my 10g I have a pfuv and just got my cf-300 yesterday and their air pump great bang for the buck.

Back
Top Bottom