little BIG rescape =]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
completely re-aquascaping my 2.2g cube shrimp tank! this will be my first semi-amateur/profeshh-ish aquascape after being inspired by so many images of the "underwater tree" concept. i've only been in the hobby since last november, but consistent with popular belief, this hobby is addicting! please let me know if i'm doing anything wrong, as most this is new to me. did a lot of research/planning and now putting it into action. any helpful tips or comments will be greatly appreciated.

dry-start for anubias nana, flame moss, and dwarf baby tears (HC). using fluorite black substrate, misting them 2x a day on 8-10 hours of... a fluval spec III led light :whistle:
however, i have them starting in a 1.7g old hex tank until i can relocate my shrimp from the cube. thinking of just keeping them in a bucket on a free day while i change out/swap everything in the hex to the emptied cube.

lighting for the new tank will be a $15 LED aquarium light i got from amazon, hoping the lighting will be adequate for the small size of the tank. root tabs, liquid fert, and excel.

Pics of progress:

my hodgepodge of a shrimp tank. had a lot of stuff i just threw together kinda. a lot of stuff from petco when i was first starting out. didn't know where to put the leftover flame moss that i got today on the mesh so i just sorta dropped it in for now.
GwYRfN.jpg

pico tree made from superglued (cyanoacrylate) pieces of spider wood and tied the flame moss to it. was not easy to make...
VmGdBd.jpg

all happy in their temporary terrarium. 3/5/2015
bhDkHr.jpg

Oh wow, that's going to be great! Looking forward to seeing updates (y)

The tree looks great. Can't wait to see the flame moss really take off on that.
Are you going to be updating this thread with picture of the plants growth?

The tree looks great. Can't wait to see the flame moss really take off on that.
Are you going to be updating this thread with picture of the plants growth?

Of course! They'll be in that hex tank until my new lighting comes in. that's when I'll do the whole big switcheroo.

Hooray for buying things on Amazon with free shipping... it's been a couple of weeks already. I was just too excited to wait for it lol.
So for now during the day the fluval spec lights are in its main tank and at night I switch the lights to the hex.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hey um.. quick question for everyone:

since i'm dry-starting with moss, it isn't really connected with the substrate. would it be good to dilute some liquid fert into the spray bottle that i use to mist the tank? or is it not needed? i noticed little yellow spots on some of the tufts of moss.

MPqqvd.jpg

new LED lighting unit came in today =] 6500k, 8 watts
now i just gotta find time this week for the rescape. so excited! hopefully everything goes according to plan. the initial light i bought never came in, so i contacted the seller and they refunded me, got this instead. double the price, but i wanna make sure the lighting will be good for the HC.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.jpg
    IMG_3154.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 102
hey um.. quick question for everyone:

since i'm dry-starting with moss, it isn't really connected with the substrate. would it be good to dilute some liquid fert into the spray bottle that i use to mist the tank? or is it not needed? i noticed little yellow spots on some of the tufts of moss.

MPqqvd.jpg

that's a really interesting question I would love to know if it can make a difference.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

that's a really interesting question I would love to know if it can make a difference.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It actually turned my moss a darker green.. not sure if that's good or not. i thought browning was the bad sign. I tried getting the shot at a similar angle to compare. The yellow portions are still pretty much there though.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426552662.720510.jpg

My spray bottle is 300mL and diluted 5mL of tetra flora pride (0-0-1.1) don't really know what those numbers mean on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

and so it begins.

progress from today :D

taped white paper to the back
Xf8meH.jpg

Seachem black Fluorite with root tabs
My9dug.jpg

zebra rock is quite cool. pretty tricky to hardscape with such a small real estate.
JoY4v2.jpg

didn't want the dwarf hair grass to overtake the dwarf baby tears as a carpet. so i separated them using small funnels and tubes that i got. crossing fingers that they won't melt and die out.
cX2Baw.jpg

this is it for now. the pico tree will go in the upper right corner.
Wf7Mof.jpg

next day will be adding sand to the front and adding baby tears, anubias nana, and the flame moss tree =]

so i ended up finishing it while forgetting to take photos periodically due to some frustrations when getting baby tear patches right, my hand accidentally bumping/knocking over the tree, small changes, but it's here!

ANfCju.jpg

6RytgB.jpg

rearranged some stuff..
PC03At.jpg

gonna put my moss ball in that little canal between the two hair grass patches. my micro crabs in their temporary tank figured out that they can push it around using it as moving cover (interestingly enough) so putting it there will help keep the ball in a general spot.

waddaya guys think??

This is going to be spectacular when filled and stocked. It already is even though it's empty!!!

29g Community

3g Betta

Back
Top Bottom