Loud filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an aquaclear 50 and an aquatech powerhead on my 55 gal with sand subtrate. I did a large water change and turned them off for a brief moment, then added the water, turned them on and they got loud. They usually do this for 4 hours to even a couple of days, but they have been doing it for 3 days with no change. What could have happened?

They have water in them? My aquaclear siphons when I do a PWC. If that's not it then take it out and check there is no gravel or sand in the impeller.

Well I just checked and I have sand subtrate and I think that it's on the metal pole that the impeller slides onto but I've washed it and nothing happens. Maybe it just needs a couple of days to calm down?

Have you rinsed the filter out? Be sure to use tank water and rinse it well as sand can get into where the impeller sits. If that doesn't do it I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yea I did that. I think it just needs time because I fixed the metal pole the prop was on. I had to push it further in. Maybe it will be quiet in the morninng. Wishful thinking!

Well if it's not sand it may be time to get a new filter. I am getting a new one today, going with aquaclear. I would avoid tetra cause they are really noisy, that's why I'm getting a new one. The tetra would also randomly stop pumping. I used to have an emporer with the bio wheels and it worked awesome. Can't get those where I live though, **** small towns.

If the filter is noisy, either the shaft is worn, or the inside of the impeller is worn. An AC filter should run quietly. This is assuming you got all the sand out of the pump cavity.

Well would the sand eventually work it's way out? It sounds a little quieter now. It's always loud for a few days after shut down then it gets quiet. J found out it's mostly the aquatech power that's loud. What could I do to fix that one?

i know whats wrong... you got sand in the motors. if you have an extra filter i would take the filter off and put the other one on. detach the motor from the filter box and let the motor dry out for a few days and then use it again. if its loud when you put it back on you have ruined it. check the impeller magnet and stem to make sure it does not have worn groves into it. if it is still making noise make sure the motor is not hot or stuck as it can become a fire hazard.

I'm mean, it has quieted down a bit, but it's really not the filter. I've realized its the powerhead. What should I do to fix that? Also, is the motor on the aqua clear filter(the black part) supposed to be warm, not hot, just warm?

it should be a little warm but not hot. as long as its pumping and not making a grinding sound its fine. okay now for the power head un plug it and remove it from the aquarium and check the motor impeller for grooves and clean it out.

Yea it's pumping fine, it's not a grinding sound it's just a humming sound. Same for the powerhead, just louder than usual.

I would try adjusting the pickup tube on your filter, that may help. If not try reseating the impeller. When seated properly, barring sand or being worn, they should be silent. As for the powerhead I would give it a good rinse, if that doesn't work gently smack it, like an old tube tv ;-) may help reseat things.

Back
Top Bottom