Lucky bamboo betta bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Me and my wife build this together, she chose the bamboos, we went to michael's to get the bowl and rocks for the substrate, we got the lamp at menards and a strip of leds from ebay along with a nice miniature japanese lanthern, then I let her have three of my marimo balls and finally I attached some christmas moss to a little arch of malasyan driftwood. We went to a nice local fish store and she got a nice half moon female plakat... or so we thought cuz the second day of being in there the "lady" built a bubble nest and you could see it flaring and dancing at its own reflect, funny thing.

ForumRunner_20121019_200849.jpg

ForumRunner_20121019_200908.jpg

ForumRunner_20121019_200919.jpg

I'd say it was about 80 to 90 included the table

Love it... Bamboo is one of my favorite. If you don't mind me asking, do you know what size the bowl is? I would love to add bamboo to mine but not sure if you can add it to a 2 gal heated tank or not.

Calypso77 said:
Love it... Bamboo is one of my favorite. If you don't mind me asking, do you know what size the bowl is? I would love to add bamboo to mine but not sure if you can add it to a 2 gal heated tank or not.

It took about three gallons to fill that is after the substrate and bamboos and before the marimo balls, miniature lantern and driftwood, what do you use to heat it? the smallest heater I could find was a 7.5 w at petsmart but I thought it was gonna be to much for it, I guess you can add bamboo to any thank as long as you use RO water to eliminate the fluorite otherwise it won't thrive.

It took about three gallons to fill that is after the substrate and bamboos and before the marimo balls, miniature lantern and driftwood, what do you use to heat it? the smallest heater I could find was a 7.5 w at petsmart but I thought it was gonna be to much for it, I guess you can add bamboo to any thank as long as you use RO water to eliminate the fluorite otherwise it won't thrive.

Cool thanks... I use a Hydor THEO Submersible Aquarium Heater 25W in my tank. I refuse to use the smaller ones as they are usually preset and if your fish gets sick and needs extra heat it can't be done. So I went with this one and it has been perfect.

jetajockey said:
Eliminate the fluorite? Are you reconstituting the ro water?

No I haven't, the water I get comes from a local food store, I always check the parameters and it usually comes with a ph of 6.3 to 6.5 and a kh of 1, I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of tap water cuz a ratio of 1 to 8 gives me a ph of 6.8 and a kh of 3. But I just decided to vary the betta's food with frozen bloodworms, hickari pellets and a little pieces of mineral cubes which I use for the snails. Do you think I'd be necessary to reconstitute the water or my actual plan will work? Thanks

If you are on top of water changes and testing regularly to make sure the pH doesn't flatline then you are fine, fish wise. One concern though is that the plant may not get enough nutrients. Why don't you use tap?

The bamboo are actually doing very well, about the other plant you are right I guess I should have use a lava rock instead of driftwood, any way the Christmas moss that I used was going to be tossed away cuz I trimmed it from the shrimps tank and I don't have anywhere else to put it, I didn't use tap water because of the fluoride, do you think I'd be a good idea to slowly change to spring water?

I've not heard of a concern regarding fluoride and aquatic plants, not to say it's not possible, but it's just not something I've ever heard of someone using an alternate water source to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom