Make your own tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iv done it biggest thing is to get the right sized glass for your tank and also figure out if it needs to be braced or not I built a tank out of 6mm glass or 1/4" it was a 40 gal and I found out after I had to euro brace it

Okay awesome I'll probably start out small maybe make a 15g just to get the hang of it. But I'm researching what kind of glass is best to use. Plus what to glue it with?

I actually just priced out a 30"x16"x12" with 3/8" glass cut and polished.. It was close to $200!!!! Crazy ness.. I'd say it's wayyyy cheaper to buy one already made..

Yeah I can see it being pricy but I'm a hands on person And it's like my dream to make a tank something crazy!!!

Best be would to find someone selling glass on craigslist and buy a glass scorer and cut your own glass

So hey Neon, I have built my own aquarium once it was a fun project. The first thing i would do is get a 3D sketch program and make the aquarium up in that, then i would see if anyone would cut the sizes you needed. From there i would use aquarium sealent, and start squaring all the pieces together.

I have built 6, and for the last 5 the glass was free. If you have to buy glass it is highly unlikely to make any financial sense. The tank is simply held together using silicone sealer with no mildewcide. If you can find some salvage glass it might be cheap enough to make sense.

After thinking more about it 1/4" would be fine I'm sure, I tend to over build stuff sometimes. . There is a huge glass table top sitting next to my storage locker.. hmmmmm 1/2" Glass though.. hey Bill.. what about plywood bottoms?? Even backs??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After thinking more about it 1/4" would be fine I'm sure, I tend to over build stuff sometimes. . There is a huge glass table top sitting next to my storage locker.. hmmmmm 1/2" Glass though.. hey Bill.. what about plywood bottoms?? Even backs??

Here is a 150 gallon I got off Craigslist . It had a cracked bottom so I replaced it with plywood coated in pond shield . Hope this helps.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400957454.503507.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400957472.384425.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400957501.520353.jpg

Awesome! Looks great, no issues yet?

Beautiful!! If I get my hands on that plate glass I'll def be using your method!

Back
Top Bottom