maxwell1295's 55 Gallon Mbuna Tank (updated 12/4/06)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love the rockwork and the substarte is amazing. i am going to be tearing my tank down soon to re do all the rock work. i am tired of the marbel. what kind of rocks are in there?

Awesome tank! And not a speck of algae....I'm jealous. :) I guess I should up date my Mbuna tank thread and post a recent picture with my algae background.

I also love your rocks...and wish I could find something like that around here...I don't like my flat slate that much. And that sand...is so nice! I loveyour tank!

Not much going here other than some added rockwork. Before I did that, I took out some insurance by installing some eggcrate. That was done to prevent the "Socolofi Excavation Company" from causing a cave-in. It hadn't happened yet, but I didn't want to chance losing any fish.

I also replaced the Fluval 404 with another Eheim 2217 and added another AC50 powerhead for circulation. The fish are the same although I lost a Yellow Lab to sickness and had one of the Syno cats completely disappear without a trace. I thought I would find his remains under a rock or something during the rescaping, but found nothing. I recently had some spawning going on and ended up with a total of 23 fry (13 Maingano, 10 Socolofi). The fry are being house in a seperate tank.

Here is the updated pic:

img_741814_0_9f8e057b596805193b4005520f5582f9.jpg

VERY nice tank and fish mate, the dark substrate looks a treat with the rockwork.

My only fear is that your maingano appear to be crossbred. :(

Whihch of those pics leads you to believe that? I had ome susicions about one of the females, but she is not pictured here. She has a bit of yellow on her dorsal fin. That's the only reason I thought something might not be quite right....

Mainly the pic of "studmuffin" mate.
Don't take it as gospel, but the almost vertical looking "barrs" are a bit out of character for maingano. Who knows though..It could have just been scars from birth ..
Notice the shape of the head and mouth of the female as opposed to the male as well.

Sorry mate, not trying to put a downer on things, just offering my opinion :)

Matt

Beautiful tank maxwell :) I'm sure your mbuna are as happy as clams with all the fine substrate and excellent rock cover. They certainly look healthy.

Thanks for all the comments. The layout is basically the same. I added a few more rocks and swapped out some Labs.

The new stocklist:

5 - Metriaclima esterae
4 - Pseudotropheus socolofi albino
4 - Melanochromis sp.
6 - Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba"
1 - Synodonts eupterus

And here's an updated pic:
img_772807_0_84388872ce46f32cba3bcd3838f6a510.jpg

Thanks!

Travis - I am getting a little breeding action going on. I've been watching the Red Zebras closely. They are just getting to be sexually mature and it seems like something is going to happen any day now. The dom male looks like he might be getting the hang of it. I've gotten 2 brrods from the Socolofi and 3 from the Mainganos (1 from each female).

Congratulations! I've always wanted to try Mainganos but have not been able to find them (although I have a lead on a supplier here in Denver now :) ). Keep us updated.

stunning tank! i imagine that would be quite the piece in your house. well done in creating a colourful cichlid tank. so many are drab and colourless and don't look nearly as inviting.

More pics...

Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba"
(the little ones are growing up fast)
img_786380_0_361eae35a2c5a0d719b432f946722548.jpg

img_786380_1_9919008e5960eba254c4f604c00632c6.jpg

img_786380_2_b983c24182b5cdf5ed0825e5e882867e.jpg

Johanni aka "King of the Tank"

img_786380_3_03280a169e461f2c26f409dbfab6085c.jpg

Johanni and Male Red Zebra
(the Zebra was just a young lad at the beginning of this thread)

img_786380_4_26f47f8e8b0b3c159ba77f8a09344f65.jpg

Back
Top Bottom