My 125 gallon Discus tank and DIY stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought I would start a new thread for the new tank and stand. My plan is to keep the AquaIllumination led lights for now as well as my controller, heater, ATO.

I'm building the stand in place. Next step add plywood everywhere.

Awesome. (I might need all this information for a 90G bowfront stand which I was told would cost 350, for a good one new, less good - rated for 72G for $125.)

It seems building a stand would be a frugal and probably more safe idea. :)

Please post a few pics when you get time!!!

“Banging Noises”
“Drill noises”
*^%!!!!
“Bang bang”
Hey honey come check out the new stand!

You did a nice looking job. Looks stable.

So you just cut, cut, cut and hammer and its done??? ;)
I used screws. Lots of screws. The stand gets its strength from the 2x4s that rest between the upper and lower frames. It gets dimensional stability from the plywood attached around it. Hasn't fallen apart yet, filled it up Saturday. Moved everyone over, with existing filter media, My discus pair laid eggs in it today.

filled it up Saturday. Moved everyone over, with existing filter media, My discus pair laid eggs in it today.
That is a great thing !:dance:
Eggs stay in tank with parents or are you trying to hatch them out ?
Few put the effort in to artificially hatch discus but my methods for rams are very similar if not the same …
The real trick is feeding the fry for first 2 weeks ,which is just like the rams …
Congrats !(y)

Everyone moved over on Saturday. Going bare bottom and plants in containers for now. Easier to keep clean and the bottom is tan color like sand.

The back has multiple compartments. The first on either side I have existing filters, new filters to catch debris and one of these has one of my temp probes, next compartments are trickle filters with bio balls in them, next compartment is heater, pump, ATO, ph probe and another temp probe.

Below is ATO bucket, fish food, the brains of the operation (Neptune controller, power module, etc).

Lighting, my 3 AI sol white leds (first or second generation, I don't remember) going strong 6 years old. Run very low at 27% max, probably could be even lower, I will watch for algae. But it is a 30" tall tank.

Pump was included with the tank and I think it was a Rio2100. It seems to be a good flow for the Discus.

20180520_161502~2.jpeg

That is a great thing !:dance:
Eggs stay in tank with parents or are you trying to hatch them out ?
Few put the effort in to artificially hatch discus but my methods for rams are very similar if not the same …
The real trick is feeding the fry for first 2 weeks ,which is just like the rams …
Congrats !(y)
Probably not raise them. The pair eats the eggs every time so far.

Sounds like the Discus approved the tank!

Okay screws. (Still thinking over if trying to build one or not makes sense in my circumstance.) One of the TV show contractor guys would always say "glue it and screw it". Will remember the screws if I do, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom