Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 125 gallon jorney

this will be the journal of my 125 gallon adventure. i was really excited scoring this little monstrer tank on CL beginning this month. tonight i guess is the official start - it is finally full of water .

things yet to be organized below, plus i still need to build doors

lighted by 72"beamswork LED fixture. substrate 50lbs of eco-complete/floramax mix covered by 120 lbs or so of playsand. filtration is aquaclear 125 wet/dry stuffed with bunch of pot cleaners(few are being seeded right now in canister of 55 gallon tank), ebay overflow 1200Gph box CPR knock off, eheim 3000 circulation pump with DIY pvc spraybar situated back to front under left brace. for now untill the dust clears i'm not running the wet/dry, put a old penguin170 on it , not going to hurt. driftwood piece is still soaking, and still needs to go into dishwasher for steam bath.

this will be a peaceful community tank, exact stocking still being determined , i do know i want cardinal tetras, sterbai corys and a pair of bristlenoses.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
this will be the journal of my 125 gallon adventure. i was really excited scoring this little monstrer tank on CL beginning this month. tonight i guess is the official start - it is finally full of water .

things yet to be organized below, plus i still need to build doors

lighted by 72"beamswork LED fixture. substrate 50lbs of eco-complete/floramax mix covered by 120 lbs or so of playsand. filtration is aquaclear 125 wet/dry stuffed with bunch of pot cleaners(few are being seeded right now in canister of 55 gallon tank), ebay overflow 1200Gph box CPR knock off, eheim 3000 circulation pump with DIY pvc spraybar situated back to front under left brace. for now untill the dust clears i'm not running the wet/dry, put a old penguin170 on it , not going to hurt. driftwood piece is still soaking, and still needs to go into dishwasher for steam bath.

this will be a peaceful community tank, exact stocking still being determined , i do know i want cardinal tetras, sterbai corys and a pair of bristlenoses.
Sounds like fun. Make sure you don't have any Jet dry/rinse aid in the dishwasher.

BN love other BN, so you could have a armload of them in there. I know someone who might be willing to sell you a bunch for a reasonable price (Albino BN home grown). Pm me and I can check for you if you are interested.

Cardinals!!!

Here is one of the persons babies in my tank!

Can't wait to see the tank progress.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually rinse aid is in there for sure, judging by our normal use I still have a week or bit more to soak the DW before it gets used up. wife knows to not refill it.

I was under impression that bristlenoses are territorial and don't get along with each other to much, that's why I have only one in the 55Gal.
Do you by a chance have the ordinary brown? I'm not really big fan of albinos (nevertheless congrads on your addition ).

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Actually rinse aid is in there for sure, judging by our normal use I still have a week or bit more to soak the DW before it gets used up. wife knows to not refill it.

I was under impression that bristlenoses are territorial and don't get along with each other to much, that's why I have only one in the 55Gal.
Do you by a chance have the ordinary brown? I'm not really big fan of albinos (nevertheless congrads on your addition ).
For the territorial thing I believe it is when they are breeding the male will protect his cave with the eggs naturally. I have 6 in my 72g. Ithink the breeding pairs are all albino variety. There are some really great red and orange variations. Depending on your preferences, lol. I will check on the browns.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water in the display tank got clear quite fast, I did not like how the AQ125 wet/dry worked. Was able to reduce the overflow drain gurgling but sump capacity was not sufficient to my taste. So the AQ is for sale, I will be using 20 gallon long tank as sump. Trip to IKEA yielded pair of "samla" containers, they stack very nicely and fit inside the tank exactly. (Tank not shown as it was resealed and now stands full of water outside being tested for leaks)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396325912229.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	231212   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396325925262.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	231213  

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pipe Adhesive and silicone dried (or so i hope) and the new sump is going. Sump itself is much quieter or so it seems, but almost all the sponges ended up getting submerged. And another thing that is somewhat concerning is the amount of water flow. Even though the pump (eheim 3000 compact) is not the most powerful I've seen on 125gal, and there is a check valve that is robbing from the flow there is still enough current to almost uproot the amazon sword planted . I think thats where the DW will go to break the current somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396500020251.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	231543  

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
Old 04-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Driftwood is in, still floats so I have a stone on it to keep it down. Somehow I have feeling it will take quite a while to settle. Started strapping plants on the DW however, looks nice.

First occupants are in - 3 bristlenoses. Poor guys already had an adventure, started to worry after not seeing them for some time and found one in overflow box. No idea how he made it past the first foam barrier. 2 more made it all the way down into the drip pipe, spent at least 12 hours there. Lucky enough this structure is not glued so I got them out safely. What a close call, they almost became ammonia . the overflow now has proper mesh to protect from these things in future.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396806112081.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	232026  

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Driftwood is in, still floats so I have a stone on it to keep it down. Somehow I have feeling it will take quite a while to settle. Started strapping plants on the DW however, looks nice.

First occupants are in - 3 bristlenoses. Poor guys already had an adventure, started to worry after not seeing them for some time and found one in overflow box. No idea how he made it past the first foam barrier. 2 more made it all the way down into the drip pipe, spent at least 12 hours there. Lucky enough this structure is not glued so I got them out safely. What a close call, they almost became ammonia . the overflow now has proper mesh to protect from these things in future.
Love the DW. I left the rock on mine because the pants started growing roots over it before the wood would stay down, lol.

Once had a BN shimmy somehow, and I still can't understand how it did it, into a HOB filter, it was there for maybe almost a month and got kinda fat living in a 6in x 3in cubby hole. Scared the bleep out of me when I went to clean it, since things, especially kinda big things aren't supposed to be in there. The whole thing was clean as could be though, no sludge at all on the sides or bottom!!!

Glad you found them in time!

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well , not completely smooth sailing so far. On the bright side Bristlenoses despite the "whitewater" trip to the sump prefilter acclimated just fine, eating vigorously on glass walls, waffers and zucchini (judging by amount of poo generated). 2 serbai corys (all they had in store, will get more) after evening of shyness are very active, doing their digging thing .

But from the pair of German blue rams I already lost one. Floated the bag for hour or so adding water slowly, Plants to hide already there, Water parameters are good A less then 0.25 , N0, nitrate less then 10, temp at 81F , frozen brine shrimp and flakes were offered and I even seen one of them nibble on them. Still after couple hours one of the GBR darkened, later found him dead in watersprite bush .

Of the 10 cardinals I already found 2 on the grates of the overflow box, and judging by behaviour (swimming separately and rotating on side) I am afraid I will find one more when I get home today...

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
Old 04-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water is not crystal clear, bunch of particles are flowing around. Perhaps I just should give it more time, but for now as much as I appreciate the clean look of tank's insides without heaters or tubes I'm really tempted to get pair of fluv406 canisters instead of a sump. For now I put old marinrland HOT filter with micron polishing cartridge into the sump, will see how this helps.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com