My 14g planted and 55g Amazon Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustinfeint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone :) My name is Dustin. I started my journey into fishkeeping back in January and this is how far I have come. I have a 14g planted tank which houses Black Mollys. They just bred and now I have fry all over! It also has (don't quote me on this) endlers livebearers. I have some ghost shrimp, a Buenos aries tetra and as for plants: Wisteria, anubias, hairmat, and moss. My 55 gallon has 4 angels ( 1 koi, 3 golden) the two largest just laid eggs this morning. I will post pictures of the fry, laid gently and heavily protected on an amazon sword leaf. I kind of strayed from the beaten path of the amazon as i do house my angels with rainbows. 3x bosemani and a red rainbow added today. I have an albino bristlenose as well. Other plants include red rubin sword, ruffle sword, dwarf hairgrass, and red ludwigia. I would love for your critiques on how to make my tanks better and all.comments are welcome!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130505_203920.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_203920.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 247
  • ForumRunner_20130505_203941.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_203941.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 231
  • ForumRunner_20130505_203956.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_203956.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 226
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 219
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204040.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 223
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204113.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 209
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204128.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 200
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204145.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204145.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 208
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204211.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204211.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 202
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204226.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 198
  • ForumRunner_20130505_204247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130505_204247.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 183
Nice tanks & fish! Looks really good.
Do you test with a liquid test kit ?

That is an investment i still need to make. Trust me, i know. I do test for pH often and do weekly water changes.

That is an investment i still need to make. Trust me, i know. I do test for pH often and do weekly water changes.

Why do you feel the need to test if your fish are breeding especially angels then all must be good! IMO test kits are a waste of money! I've never once tested my discus tank and it been set up for over a year now!

I guess i have started to become a fish snob and feel the need to be over anxious about everything now that i have invested so much money! :p

I guess i have started to become a fish snob and feel the need to be over anxious about everything now that i have invested so much money! :p

Forget the test kits and even more money spending on a hobby which surposed to be relaxing and enjoyable! Just keep up the good work your obviously doing something right for them to be breeding!

been there done that, i share your feeling. whenever I'm done with a new fish tank, i think there's always bigger tank i can start on with different ideas on how to scape it

OOOOOO Angelfish, love em, and yours are fantastic, i think your tanks are great, The most important thing is to make them your own. Everyone will have different idea on how to set up or what plants or fish to add, but what pleases you when you look at your tank is the whole object of this hobby. Keep up the good work.

Thank you guys for the encouraging words. I really appreciate it. I don't really have anybody to talk to about this hobby where I live.

My wife always asks me if I am on here flirting with my fish nerds and now I guess I can tell her yes Haha

My fiancée refers to me as fish geek when I'm on here I told her today our little boy due in Julys first words are going to be discus! I'm gunna make sure of it! Haha

I am just trying to get a couple different opinions about something here. I was wondering if you guys think I should up my school of rainbow fish to 6, or re home my rainbow fish and replace them with a school of cardinal tetras. Right now my stocking goes as this:

55g amazon biotope.
2x Discus (one medium one juvenile)
4x Angelfish ( a mated pair and 2 juvenile)
3x bosemani rainbowfish
1x adult albino bristlenose pleco

I know that I am going to have to add at least one more discus as they like to be in groups of three or more.
But being that I wanted this tank to be a Amazon biotope, I don't know if I should have rainbows in there or not. I love them so much though. I am also considering this because I do not want my tank to be overstocked. Rainbowfish have a higher bioaload obviously. Thoughts??

I am just trying to get a couple different opinions about something here. I was wondering if you guys think I should up my school of rainbow fish to 6, or re home my rainbow fish and replace them with a school of cardinal tetras. Right now my stocking goes as this:

55g amazon biotope.
2x Discus (one medium one juvenile)
4x Angelfish ( a mated pair and 2 juvenile)
3x bosemani rainbowfish
1x adult albino bristlenose pleco

I know that I am going to have to add at least one more discus as they like to be in groups of three or more.
But being that I wanted this tank to be a Amazon biotope, I don't know if I should have rainbows in there or not. I love them so much though. I am also considering this because I do not want my tank to be overstocked. Rainbowfish have a higher bioaload obviously. Thoughts??

i would go for more rainbows simply because you're half-way there already. their color change when they're in a bigger group than what you're having right now. But if you're not interested in this route, may i ask how you're going to rehome them. giving them away, sell them, or setup another tank? to reduce the bioload, i would take out the pleco because it's a huge bioload for just one fish. i would add otos if your reason of getting the pleco was algae in the beginning.

i would go for more rainbows simply because you're half-way there already. their color change when they're in a bigger group than what you're having right now. But if you're not interested in this route, may i ask how you're going to rehome them. giving them away, sell them, or setup another tank? to reduce the bioload, i would take out the pleco because it's a huge bioload for just one fish. i would add otos if your reason of getting the pleco was algae in the beginning.

Okay thank you for the response. I did not know if adding three more rainbows would make my tank overstocked or not.

Back
Top Bottom