My 2 gallon planted Do!aqua cylinder tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gizmo 7-7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you guys think? Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

ForumRunner_20120223_112939.jpg

ForumRunner_20120223_113214.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pictures. They were uploaded from my phone.

This tank has the following:
ADA-Amazonia aqua soil
4 Cryptocoryne (potted plants)
2 small anubias
2 Pistia (floating plant: grows like crazy, but but only want about 2 in at a time).
6 Galaxy Rasbora
2 Pea Puffers
About 5 ghost shrimp (going to change to cherry shrimp)
1 Clown preco
1 small driftwood

It looks great but you are pretty overstocked. You might be able to do one pea puffer or maybe the rasboras. I'm not really familiar with those but I know they are micro fish, so I think they could be ok. The clown pleco really needs a large tank. They are one of the smaller species of pleco but they still need at least a 20 gallon. They have a huge bioload and do reach sizes of 5 inches or so. Puffers tend to have larger bioloads than similar sized fish. They are messy eaters and create a good bit of waste. This is one of those occasions that the inch per gallon rule can be at least a little useful. Remember, one inch per gallon of adult fish size is almost always an overestimation of how much fish you can stock. Has the tank cycled? Do you have a liquid test kit? I would be very interested to see how much of an effect all those plants would have on the nitrates in the tank. Heh, I've also ended up with more sideways and upside down pictures than I would like. Silly iPod.

Yeah, the tank has been running for about 2 months. I am thinking of putting the puffers into another tank. They are pretty messy and seem to disturb the other fish and shrimp (nips at them). I was also concerned with overstocking. The guy at the lfs suggested about 10 rasboras. He said that they would do fine in that small of a tank. He said they like to hide and thought 10 would be good. Instead, I started with 3, then bought 3 more later. I will also change plecos when it gets too big for the tank, right now, all he does is hide in the driftwood. I haven't tested the nitrates recently, but I do a 1/4 to a 1/2 water change just about every week. I'll check the nitrates and I'll let you know.

gizmo 7-7 said:
Yeah, the tank has been running for about 2 months. I am thinking of putting the puffers into another tank. They are pretty messy and seem to disturb the other fish and shrimp (nips at them). I was also concerned with overstocking. The guy at the lfs suggested about 10 rasboras. He said that they would do fine in that small of a tank. He said they like to hide and thought 10 would be good. Instead, I started with 3, then bought 3 more later. I will also change plecos when it gets too big for the tank, right now, all he does is hide in the driftwood. I haven't tested the nitrates recently, but I do a 1/4 to a 1/2 water change just about every week. I'll check the nitrates and I'll let you know.

That sounds like a great tank for a single betta. Galaxy rasboras are micro fish but do require numbers of about 6+ and I don't think yur tank is capable of holding thar many fish. I had 8 in my ten gallon and they seemed a little short on space so I would recommend just getting a single betta. What kind of filtration do u have?

Tcal01 said:
That sounds like a great tank for a single betta. Galaxy rasboras are micro fish but do require numbers of about 6+ and I don't think yur tank is capable of holding thar many fish. I had 8 in my ten gallon and they seemed a little short on space so I would recommend just getting a single betta. What kind of filtration do u have?

Hmmm. They don't seem too short in space in my tank, but I'll definitely keep an eye out. They like to hide in the planted areas and come out into the open space during feeding. I am using a Tom Mini Internal Filter-Dive Clean.

gizmo 7-7 said:
Hmmm. They don't seem too short in space in my tank, but I'll definitely keep an eye out. They like to hide in the planted areas and come out into the open space during feeding. I am using a Tom Mini Internal Filter-Dive Clean.

Well they eventually grow up to an inch so they will definitely be short to space then. When stocking a tank u have to take into account how.big they will ultimately be not what they how big they are at the moment. Aqadvisor.com can give u a pretty good idea of what u can stock and what your tank capacity is. I put in your filtration and tank size in and just put in the galaxy rasboras and they alone made yur stocking level 122%

Tcal01 said:
Well they eventually grow up to an inch so they will definitely be short to space then. When stocking a tank u have to take into account how.big they will ultimately be not what they how big they are at the moment. Aqadvisor.com can give u a pretty good idea of what u can stock and what your tank capacity is. I put in your filtration and tank size in and just put in the galaxy rasboras and they alone made yur stocking level 122%

I thought I was told they are pretty much full grown. Hmm... I'll check the website. Thanks again. I'm hoping to set up an 80 gallon pretty soon. I have a few old 10 gallons laying around. Maybe I'll have to set up one of them in the meantime.

Setting up a 10g tank for a few of your fish would be a good idea. I like your tank, you did a really nice job putting the dw and plants in there. It does have a lot of stock though. In addition to the fish you stated in the first post, the fish in the first picture looks like a guppy maybe?
I am glad its doing well so far, but if you try to keep all those fish in there long term you will run into some issues.
I definitely recommend checking the water parameters when you have a chance. Thats a lot of fish for such small space so it wouldn't surprise me if a few things were a bit high.

absolutangel04 said:
Setting up a 10g tank for a few of your fish would be a good idea. I like your tank, you did a really nice job putting the dw and plants in there. It does have a lot of stock though. In addition to the fish you stated in the first post, the fish in the first picture looks like a guppy maybe?
I am glad its doing well so far, but if you try to keep all those fish in there long term you will run into some issues.
I definitely recommend checking the water parameters when you have a chance. Thats a lot of fish for such small space so it wouldn't surprise me if a few things were a bit high.

Yeah you're right. There is one feeder guppy in there. I had three in there for the first month as my tester fish, but two of them jumped out. The water level was pretty much to the top, so I decided to lower it about 1/2 an inch. I'm going to check some of the water levels soon. I'll let you know if anything is out of the norm.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is greatly appreciated.

This tank has the following:
ADA-Amazonia aqua soil
4 Cryptocoryne (potted plants)
2 small anubias
2 Pistia (floating plant: grows like crazy, but but only want about 2 in at a time).
6 Galaxy Rasbora
2 Pea Puffers
About 5 ghost shrimp (going to change to cherry shrimp)
1 Clown preco
1 small driftwood
Gorgeous tank, but hideously overstocked. It would be a great shrimp tank. IMO no fish should be housed in a tank this small.
Clown plecs - min. 29 gals (some say 20)
Galaxy rasbora - min. 10 gals (or something like a 6.6 bookshelf tank, less gallons but still as long as a 10, these are schoolers that need some length to their tank)
Pea puffers - min. 5 gals
Clown plecs are wood eaters and will do best with a variety of wood in the tank. I would rehome the fish to atleast a 20 gal and offer some more wood for the pleco as well. Then set up this little beauty for the cherry shrimp. ;)

gizmo 7-7 said:
Yeah you're right. There is one feeder guppy in there. I had three in there for the first month as my tester fish, but two of them jumped out. The water level was pretty much to the top, so I decided to lower it about 1/2 an inch. I'm going to check some of the water levels soon. I'll let you know if anything is out of the norm.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is greatly appreciated.

Sorry I jumped to criticize u so fast. U have a great scape and u made a great choice in plants. What lighting do u have?

siva said:
Gorgeous tank, but hideously overstocked. It would be a great shrimp tank. IMO no fish should be housed in a tank this small.
Clown plecs - min. 29 gals (some say 20)
Galaxy rasbora - min. 10 gals (or something like a 6.6 bookshelf tank, less gallons but still as long as a 10, these are schoolers that need some length to their tank)
Pea puffers - min. 5 gals
Clown plecs are wood eaters and will do best with a variety of wood in the tank. I would rehome the fish to atleast a 20 gal and offer some more wood for the pleco as well. Then set up this little beauty for the cherry shrimp. ;)

Thanks. I will probably set up a 10 for now, but want to get this 80 gallon going. I am moving soon, so I plan on setting it up then.

Tcal01 said:
Sorry I jumped to criticize u so fast. U have a great scape and u made a great choice in plants. What lighting do u have?

No, it's all good. I appreciate the criticism and input. I am using a Jebo JB-13.

gizmo 7-7 said:
No, it's all good. I appreciate the criticism and input. I am using a Jebo JB-13.

If only everyone took that attitude to constructive criticism forums and the world in general would be a better place, haha. I'm a trainer at my job... Let's just say I've had bad reactions to the most sugarcoated constructive criticism possible. Btw, I would love to see a picture of the tank from a little further back, to see the whole thing and it's shape with a little more perspective. I think it would make a great shrimp tank, though. iLife round tanks.

Back
Top Bottom