My 20 Gallon High Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Chrono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was able to snag a 20 gallon high off Craigslist for FREE so I will be showing all progress made on the tank here.
The tank came with a Marineland Penguin 200 filter, 100w heater, blue gravel substrate, various decorations, an Albino Cory, and a large angel. (Both of which have been moved to appropriate tanks)
I have replaced the Gravel with Pool Filter Sand and have it set up and running through a mini cycle right now as the filter media was kept wet and had been running in an established tank.

Here is a picture of how it sits now, hopefully water will stabilize and be suitable for fish by the end of the week!

I will also be planting this tank with Various low light/low tech plants in the near future.

Anticipated Stock List

5-6 Corydora (not decided on which species yet)

6-8 schooling Tetra

M/F pair of GBR

I really like my Sterbai Corys, but there are other good species. Others seem to like Julii and Peppered as well.

Any idea of which tetras you're going to get? I'd target mid/top-swimmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really like my Sterbai Corys, but there are other good species. Others seem to like Julii and Peppered as well.

Any idea of which tetras you're going to get? I'd target mid/top-swimmers.

I was thinking about going with Sterbai or peppered, maybe emerald

And as for tetras, I need to do some more research but definitely want something that will stay higher in the tank!

I love the way you set it up. I have Pepper Corys, as far as Tetras go, I'm still learning as I go with my two rescues. What kind of colors are you looking for?

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp...

10g Tropical Freshwater 13 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and 3 Ghost Shrimp...

I love the way you set it up. I have Pepper Corys, as far as Tetras go, I'm still learning as I go with my two rescues. What kind of colors are you looking for?

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp...

10g Tropical Freshwater 13 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and 3 Ghost Shrimp...

Thanks! I've removed the little tombstone decoration on the right and I've put a flat piece of stone in there and will be planting it with anubias, Java fern and a couple of other low tech live plants.

I've narrowed my tetra choice down to either cardinals, embers, or rummynose.

I have another 20g high with a M/F pair of bolivian Rams, 6 albino corys, and a school of 10 or so neon tetras.

I wouldn't have guessed that a M/F pair of Bolivians would coexist with a half dozen Corys in a 20 high. Good to know.

Cardinals and Embers are both good candidates. Rummys strongly prefer the bottom of the tank, so that might not work well in your tank. You may also want to consider Black Neons. They're a good mid/upper shoalers that don't need a ton of horizontal swimming space.

Just a little update on my progress, I've added a few low tech plants this morning and will be starting to introduce fish later this week!

Hope you don't mind me saying, a more natural look i.e.. rocks, bogwood, more plant's would look better, ........love the sand substrate

Hope you don't mind me saying, a more natural look i.e.. rocks, bogwood, more plant's would look better, ........love the sand substrate

The decor came with the tank, it will slowly be switched to a more natural look

Plants are growing in nicely, also added 7 Harlequin Rasboras yesterday along with a blue mystery snail. I will be transferring my pair of Bolivian Rams from my other 20g h into this tank in the next few days, just want to be sure and temperature match and get my water parameters as close as possible before I do so

Looks like you have an LED light setup? Could you elaborate on that?

Also, anything particular about your substrate relevant to growing plants? Or just filter sand for a pool filter? Any CO2?

I'm asking because I am redoing my 29h, and would like to add some plants to it...but for every requirement or "must have", I can find as many people with conflicting opinions.

Last edited:
Looks like you have an LED light setup? Could you elaborate on that?

Also, anything particular about your substrate relevant to growing plants? Or just filter sand for a pool filter? Any CO2?

I'm asking because I am redoing my 29h, and would like to add some plants to it...but for every requirement or "must have", I can find as many people with conflicting opinions.

The light bar is nothing spectacular. I got it off eBay for around $20 and I think it has around 15 watts.

The substrate is just pool filter sand, you can get a 50lb bag for like $5-$6 The only thing I do for the plants is add a fertilizer tab or two to the substrate every once in a while.

When I was setting this tank up I consulted my lfs, which I find very trustworthy, they actually had a tank completely dedicated to low light/tech plants I was able to pick from. If they didn't have anything there that fit my needs I was just going to go to petsmart. They have anubais and Java Fern there which are both very good low light plants.

It really just depends on how much you want to spend on planting an aquarium, I didn't want to spend much on this tank as I got it for free off of craigslist so I decided to go the low tech route. Some people have told me I need aquarium soil for plants or more intense light but my plants are doing just fine and growing very well the way I have my tank set up so I keep it this way.

Well, that answers that. :)

Have been looking, but not seeing much, can you give any other suggestions for lower light or at least low-maintenance plants?

edit - nvm above, found lots now...thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Well, that answers that. :)

Have been looking, but not seeing much, can you give any other suggestions for lower light or at least low-maintenance plants?

edit - nvm above, found lots now...thanks for the reply!

If you go to

plantedaquariumscentral.com

you can find a good selection of plants that will fit your low tech setup. I have ordered several times from this site and they always arrive packaged very very well and the plants are always super healthy. I have not been dissapointed yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom