my 20 gallon planted (critiques encouraged :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razorback01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon long:
8 gold ring danios
6 glowlight tetras
2 scarlet badis
1 hillstream loach
1 liquorice gourami
1 oto cat
4 amano shrimp
3 nerite snails

1 amazon sword
pennywort
java fern
micro sword
rotala indica
water sprite
wisteria
2 moss balls
banana plant

high output lighting
DIY CO2 (soon to be pressurized)
penquin 200 (just added)
aquaclear 50 (to be removed after the p200 gains the proper bacteria

Attachments

• 20IMG_0784.jpg
    20IMG_0784.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20IMG_0785.jpg
    20IMG_0785.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20IMG_0786.jpg
    20IMG_0786.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 142
Nice dude! I love gold ringed danios and scarlet badis! Do you not have issues with them and chocolate gouramis?

GodFan said:
Nice dude! I love gold ringed danios and scarlet badis! Do you not have issues with them and chocolate gouramis?

I just lost our gourami tonight... Not sure why... Think the basis beat him up? I never witnessed any of these guys being aggressive to the gourami... The gourami, however WAS always hidden somewhere... Even in the LFS. That tank has lots if hiding places.

Razorback01 said:
I just lost our gourami tonight... Not sure why... Think the basis beat him up? I never witnessed any of these guys being aggressive to the gourami... The gourami, however WAS always hidden somewhere... Even in the LFS. That tank has lots if hiding places.

I seriously doubt your tiny Badis hurt your Gourami. I have a lot of floating plants to help my shy fish come out more.

Are you feeding live or frozen ? Many Badis and rare Nano fish won't eat prepared foods. Did you see the Gourami eat ??

I seriously doubt your tiny Badis hurt your Gourami. I have a lot of floating plants to help my shy fish come out more.

Are you feeding live or frozen ? Many Badis and rare Nano fish won't eat prepared foods. Did you see the Gourami eat ??

i have given very little frozen bloodworms... and i actually didn't see the gourami eat... hmmmm... what else do you suggest?

Oh be careful what you feed the badis. They should not be fed bloodworm or tubifex worm. It can make them obese and more subsebtable to disease.

Maxkolbe said:
I like your tank, how is the hillstream loach doing? I've heard that they're hard to take care of.

So far so good! He's happily roaming the tank! He's lots of fun to watch!

I love planted tanks and yours have given me even more of the desire I already have to try it...

Do I spy moss balls? Do they get eaten by any of your fish? I am interested in these as they look odd and figured the stringy parts would get nibbled on by a curious or hungry fish.

sally pu said:
Do I spy moss balls? Do they get eaten by any of your fish? I am interested in these as they look odd and figured the stringy parts would get nibbled on by a curious or hungry fish.

They are commonly called Japanese rising moss balls and nothing I have eats them as of yet. I thought the Amano shrimp would hang out on them but no.

Good luck! Do it!

I have a gourami that I have labeled the bully... he has killed every other gourami I try to own male or female. He leaves all my other fish alone so I have just come to terms with only having one gourami. Sometimes fish just don't do what they're supposed too lol

Brett6977 said:
I have a gourami that I have labeled the bully... he has killed every other gourami I try to own male or female. He leaves all my other fish alone so I have just come to terms with only having one gourami. Sometimes fish just don't do what they're supposed too lol

But see now I have no gourami. That one that just died was my only one. :-/. Not sure why he died.

Great tank. I like it.

I don't see your penguin filter, where is it? ALso what kind of light is that? Is it a Catalina?

One tip if you want: Add some BLACK!! A little rock cave made of slate would look great!

Also you don't have any empty spaces. A "beach" of sorts in a planted tank like this really adds depth IMO. A black or grey slate "cave" would look sweet as would a little more space. JMO of course!

Brett6977 said:

Um, that is how Gouramis act. Many are territorial and many do not like other Gouramis. 3 Spot (all colors) are known for this. Gouramis are cousins to Bettas.

Great tank. I like it.

I don't see your penguin filter, where is it? ALso what kind of light is that? Is it a Catalina?

One tip if you want: Add some BLACK!! A little rock cave made of slate would look great!

Also you don't have any empty spaces. A "beach" of sorts in a planted tank like this really adds depth IMO. A black or grey slate "cave" would look sweet as would a little more space. JMO of course!

when i took the pics i didn't have the penguin hanging on yet... it was running at the time of the post... check out the new 29 gallon... what do ya think?

Um, that is how Gouramis act. Many are territorial and many do not like other Gouramis. 3 Spot (all colors) are known for this. Gouramis are cousins to Bettas.

i like the licorice gourami... but do they typically just hide out all the time? i'd like to add one illusive fish to the tank now that i moved everything to a 29 gallon tank... any suggestions? i'm thinking one of these gourami's are not wise to add..

Great tank. I like it.

actually when i took those pics i didn't realize that the T5HO was the marine version...

i now have the correct plant lights! 6000k / roseate bulbs

Back
Top Bottom