My 3.5 gal betta nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone thanks for the kind replies about the tank itself, as far as the driftwood, I got it from my lfs in their fragments bin and I boiled it 2 hours before placing it in the tank, I believe this Malaysian driftwood is already somewhat pre treated as it really did not leach all that many tannins during it's preparation. This tank is now a lot more my style and my daughter is still ok with it.

It started as a small cube for my betta, then moved to a 1 gallon with fake plants, then to this 3.5 gallon with fake plants, with a bad choice in "friends" for Fred the betta. Since then it has slowly been transformed into this where I know the inhabitants are happier than they were and the tank is much more ecologically sound with a good biofilter, regular water testing and much more care than I ever did when I started it.

Like I said, everyone makes mistakes. Don't feel like you need to keep anything a secret!:) At least you have realized some of the issues and you have accepted it, some people just live in a state of denial with their overstocked tank.

If you have the room, you could buy a 10g setup and it would be an awesome size for the betta, 6-8 neons, and the snail. Just bye bye CAE, they grow up to be little devils.

Ozydego said:
Everyone thanks for the kind replies about the tank itself, as far as the driftwood, I got it from my lfs in their fragments bin and I boiled it 2 hours before placing it in the tank, I believe this Malaysian driftwood is already somewhat pre treated as it really did not leach all that many tannins during it's preparation. This tank is now a lot more my style and my daughter is still ok with it.

It started as a small cube for my betta, then moved to a 1 gallon with fake plants, then to this 3.5 gallon with fake plants, with a bad choice in "friends" for Fred the betta. Since then it has slowly been transformed into this where I know the inhabitants are happier than they were and the tank is much more ecologically sound with a good biofilter, regular water testing and much more care than I ever did when I started it.

Yeah I get the same DW and it doesn't leach much at all and always sinks. Tank looks good! :)

I would put the neons in the 55 but I am afraid they might become lunch for the angels that will eventually inhabit this tank... Doing things much better with this tank, so far, everything seems great with it

Attachments

• image-2548492680.jpg
    image-2548492680.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3177746249.jpg
    image-3177746249.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3565951515.jpg
    image-3565951515.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2805211777.jpg
    image-2805211777.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1847289210.jpg
    image-1847289210.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image-94256869.jpg
    image-94256869.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1247475880.jpg
    image-1247475880.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 78
Apparently so, if he gets too big or aggressive, I'll just euthanize him (because I am a terrible judge of fish apparently)

In this case it was many several months ago, before I trolled these forums that I set up the livestock for this tank, did I make mistakes, sure. Should I be scoffed at, and have my thread hijacked by those who wish to judge, I would have hoped not. If I had questions about my livestock I would have placed it in the correct forum, if you have a criticism about my ethics in choosing fish, please PM me instead of littering my thread with your judgements.

I'm not making judgements, it is solid fact CAE's need a large tank and are aggressive.

As someone else said, we only want what's best for the fish. That's why aquariumadvice exists. Calm down, there's no need to be so abrasive.

Oh, and your 55g is beautiful!

Thanks for being so worried about my fish Ollie... At least someone is...

I'm worried about everyone's fish.. I'm a fishkeeper! :)

Seriously consider putting the neons in the 55g, or get a 10g. You can get one at PetCo for a little over 10 bucks. The people here on this forum aren't making judgements; they only want what's morally best for the fish. Keeping a couple of neons in a 3-gallon tank is like locking your cat in a gym locker - there's just no room to go, and even if the biofilter is good, and fish don't show any outward signs of disease, it doesn't mean they're happy or feel safe.

Ur fish look really good. Yes maybe it's small idk I don't wanna get yelled at but I have 7 neons in a 20g and they just sit there floating most of the time your right they love the current of the filter I think that would give them some good exercise.

Love ur tanks what's the plant in the third picture of ur 55g?

Ur bettA tank looks way better with sand. ;)

Thx for sharing!!

Some just have no choice but to criticize others while using the cover of what is best for the animals, thanks for sharing your experience, I don't criticize you, I hope no one else does either.

For me, the "cheap" 10 gallon plus good biofilter, heater, substrate, wood/rocks and more plants doesn't make it as cheap or plausible for me as it might for everyone else. I would appreciate if we could drop the subject of the neons being kept like "an elephant in a shoebox" it is getting little tiring, enjoy the pics and let me do what I feel is best with this tank. Thanks

The plant is a crinum calamistratum, very cool plant, one of my centerpieces.

I like the tank overall. It looks amazing. And sorry to drag the conversation on but the ten gallon really wouldn't be that expensive because you really don't need all of the decorations.

Apparently so, if he gets too big or aggressive, I'll just euthanize him (because I am a terrible judge of fish apparently)

In this case it was many several months ago, before I trolled these forums that I set up the livestock for this tank, did I make mistakes, sure. Should I be scoffed at, and have my thread hijacked by those who wish to judge, I would have hoped not. If I had questions about my livestock I would have placed it in the correct forum, if you have a criticism about my ethics in choosing fish, please PM me instead of littering my thread with your judgements.

THANK YOU! People always do this on threads. It gets pretty annoying.
I think your little tank is cute!!! :)

Needed a little background plant on the left, so I stole a runner from my jungle Val in my 55. It will be cool to see how fast this little guy grows with the better lighting!

Attachments

• image-2026272553.jpg
    image-2026272553.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 74
I have removed several off topic posts. The OP has said they understand the stocking issue so let's move on. Please keep the thread on topic and refrain from any personal attacks so we do not have to close the thread. Thanks!

Ok, nobody jump on me, as I am new to aquariums (been an owner of fish for two weeks and have had to get rid of some of my fish for overstocking and picking wrong fish as well), but I've been wondering, how on earth do people know that the neons are unhappy? They seem to have plenty of room in that tank. Is there someone who can read the fishes' minds? Not attacking--just wondering?

I was always under the impression that it has to do with color and activity, my neons are never dull, they can actually turn that blue stripe on and off if they are scared,stressed, or sick... They are always the first to pounce on their food and none are lethargic hiding all the time... I take this to be a good sign...

There isn't really a way to tell if a fish is happy or not. Yes, if a fish undergoes a very stressful situation, it will lose some of its color intensity and vibrancy. However, my male betta "acted fine" when he had fin rot, but he wasn't OK. Fish are kinda like humans, they can seem fine on the outside, but they may not be happy on the inside. Not going to :deadhorse: about the tank size they actually need.

Plus, look at it this way: A neon tetra is about 1.25 in. long. If it is in a tank that measures a foot across, it would be like a person living in a 12ft x 12ft x 12ft room.

Back
Top Bottom