My 40g breeder ram build begins!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That came together very nicely. How is the DIY canister working for you?

I haven't got it on the tank. I have to get another pump for it. Which I have yet to do. :whistle: I have marineland 400 running on it at present.

I do plan to add the canister at some point but want to get pressurized Co2 running first.

So, after a little over a week with the first Group of rams. I was able to really ID who was male or female. So last night after work. I scooped up the ones that didn't make the cut an took them back to my LFS for a swap. I actually had chosen to many males the first time. So female where what I wanted.
Let me just say choosing rams that are in tanks with light or white substrate is very hard. They were so faded!! I had the hardest time making the pick but after 30 mins of staring lol I had what I hope were the females I was looking for. Once I got them acclimated and in the tank. I new I had chooses right. Both had nice rosy bellies. Plus they each started hanging around a male. I crossed my fingers and went to bed.

Got home this afternoon and started watching everyone to see how the new ladies were doing in there new world and.........apparently someone must have put some Barry white on,Cus not only did I had a pair. They had spawned!!!!

image-4027337649.jpg

I know it's a bad pic. I'm charging the battery for our better camera and will post better pics as soon as its ready.

Last edited:
Here are some better pics. I'm a bit stunned by it to tell you the true. Not that they spawned. Just that it happened so quickly! I don't even have the fry tank setup! :lol: I love this hobby! :dance:

Now it's time to :popcorn: and see if they are good parents. I will keep you updated and I'll post pic's when and if the eggs hatch.:popcorn:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 112
So, after a little over a week with the first Group of rams. I was able to really ID who was male or female. So last night after work. I scooped up the ones that didn't make the cut an took them back to my LFS for a swap. I actually had chosen to many males the first time. So female where what I wanted.
Let me just say choosing rams that are in tanks with light or white substrate is very hard. They were so faded!! I had the hardest time making the pick but after 30 mins of staring lol I had what I hope were the females I was looking for. Once I got them acclimated and in the tank. I new I had chooses right. Both had nice rosy bellies. Plus they each started hanging around a male. I crossed my fingers and went to bed.

Got home this afternoon and started watching everyone to see how the new ladies were doing in there new world and.........apparently someone must have put some Barry white on,Cus not only did I had a pair. They had spawned!!!!

I know it's a bad pic. I'm charging the battery for our better camera and will post better pics as soon as its ready.

So, a darker substrate will bring out the color more? I have white sand and of my 2 bolivians, one is pretty washed out. Its one of the 2 original ones, my newer ram is still colored up though.

Here are some better pics. I'm a bit stunned by it to tell you the true. Not that they spawned. Just that it happened so quickly! I don't even have the fry tank setup! :lol: I love this hobby! :dance:

Now it's time to :popcorn: and see if they are good parents. I will keep you updated and I'll post pic's when and if the eggs hatch.:popcorn:

Nice pics,everything is turning out great...

Well when the lights came on today. No eggs! Bummer but I knew the odds of the first spawn making it weren't good but at least I know I have a spawning pair!(y)

It often takes pairs several times to get it right especially in younger pairs. You just have to be patient. Sorry they ate them but it won't be long before they try again.

It often takes pairs several times to get it right especially in younger pairs. You just have to be patient. Sorry they ate them but it won't be long before they try again.

Thanks, I think it has alot to do with two other pairs forming it the tank. I was only looking for two because i don't think the tank can handle three. I have to choose which pair to keep today. It's going to be a super hard choice because I really like both of the males. I have to pick one. Which would you choose?

Attachments

• SPAWN DAY 1 034.jpg
    SPAWN DAY 1 034.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 135
  • christmas 2012 080.jpg
    christmas 2012 080.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 152
Actually you might have trouble with two pairs. You'll have to wait and see.

Ugh... I absolutely love longfin rams but I also know they can have more breeding issues due to the breeding techniques used to produce them. I'd be tempted were it me to try the longfin if your keeping a regular pair but in the end you might be better off keeping two reguar pairs. Are any of your females longfins?

Yes, the female he paired with but the longfin breeding issue is my biggest worry. Plus, the other male is much more dominate and fearless. Sigh...I should have stuck to my guns and never put the pair in the tank. My wife also loves the sail fin's which how I got in this situation :facepalm:

Oh you better think twice about getting rid of them then... you know a happy wife is more likely to let you have more tanks :brows:

Aren't you keeping two pairs? I'd do one with the longfin and one with the regular. You're right, both of those are gorgeous fish, it would be a tough decision.

Have a pair spawning right now as I watch!! What an awesome thing to behold.
image-3833626263.jpg

Sry for the bad photo but I don't really want to bother them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom