My 50 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJG187

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my 50 gallon and newest addition. There is one Albino Greshekei, one yellow lab, and one pleco so far. Thank you mfdrookie for your helpful answers.

Attachments

• image-1201641545.jpg
    image-1201641545.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 400
SeverumGuy said:
It's a good start

Thank you, it will be done soon most likely. The left side is way to empty for my likings.

What is your future stocking list? I wouldn't add too many plants. With keeping Africans, I would put as much rock work in there as possible. There's basically no plants in the rift lakes where those guys come from. Mbunas love to dig so plants will probably be floating when you wake up once those guys get big.

SeverumGuy said:
What is your future stocking list? I wouldn't add too many plants. With keeping Africans, I would put as much rock work in there as possible. There's basically no plants in the rift lakes where those guys come from. Mbunas love to dig so plants will probably be floating when you wake up once those guys get big.

I am actually going to put rock caves on the other side and the plants are going to come out. I only put the plants inside because the tank is fairly new and they were from one of my other tanks so I figured it would aid the biofilter growth a bit.

I see you're running a Penguin 350 filter. Africans are very messy fish both with waste and eating. Plus, it's recommended to overstock your tank due to the aggression levels of the fish. I would aim for a second filter. I'm running a Penguin 350 and a Penguin 200 on my 55g tank.

Thanks everyone. I actually just added one more lab, one more albino zebra, and two red fin zebra today.

Looks pretty bright in there. What kinda wattage are you working with? Have you considered going planted? There are many benefits to having a planted tank besides just aesthetics.

Jason7894561230 said:
Its getting there a bit of green will make it real nice!

I second that. After putting some green decorations (artificial plants) my bare - all rocks - tank looked so much better.

Phishkeeper said:
Just drop a background on it and it's set!

I actually did add a blue background on it which actually brightened up the tank.

Phishkeeper said:
Looks pretty bright in there. What kinda wattage are you working with? Have you considered going planted? There are many benefits to having a planted tank besides just aesthetics.

I have also thought about plants which I will be adding soon. I put real plant in there which were later eaten (which I knew this would possibly happen). As for the lighting they are just florescent lights. I do regularly clean the glass area on my hood where the light shines through. The hood tends to get water build up and get cloudy so if you just take aquarium water and wipe it down and dry every week it keeps it bright.

Back
Top Bottom