My 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my 55 gallon Rainbow and Congo Tetra tank.

This is "lightly" planted with low-light plants, including java ferns, a large crypt, and two anubias. I'm using the Marineland double-bright LEDs on this one. I know there is some dispute on whether they are bright enough, but see for yourself- I think the plants look healthy so far.

I tried to do some mild terracing on the left by the anubias by piling up substrate behind a piece of driftwood. I have seen some comments in other posts that this could cause "anaerobic pockets." What is that exactly, and it is really a big threat to the tank if I leave it like that? I like the effect of the different levels.
Andy

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 120
Oh wow! That tank looks amazing! What is the plant in the right corner of the tank? I love the look of it! When my 55g is done I hope it looks a fraction as good as yours!

Oh wow! That tank looks amazing! What is the plant in the right corner of the tank? I love the look of it! When my 55g is done I hope it looks a fraction as good as yours!

Thanks! The big plant on the right is a Crypt of some sort. If you can believe it, I bought that as a little scrap of a plant about six years ago when I gave my wife a little 5 gallon mini-tank. She eventually gave up on her tank, but I transferred the plant to my aquarium and it has blossomed into a large, robust specimen that I frequently have to trim back.

The smaller plants to the left I just recently bought at Petsmart in some of those plastic tubes with the clear moisture gel stuff at the bottom. They have only been in there for about a month, so time will tell if they will thrive long-term. So far they seem to be doing well.

ahelmes71 said:
I tried to do some mild terracing on the left by the anubias by piling up substrate behind a piece of driftwood. I have seen some comments in other posts that this could cause "anaerobic pockets." What is that exactly, and it is really a big threat to the tank if I leave it like that? I light the effect of the difference levels.
Andy

I have heard of that too, but have never had a problem with it. I have heard that trumpet snails will prevent them by digging around in the gravel. I've never kept snails myself, so I don't know much about them. I wasn't much help, was I!!!

Back
Top Bottom