Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My 55g cichlid tank

Here is my 55g cichlid tank in the beginning. Play sand for the base, Patio rocks from Home Depot for the rock work. Lighting provided by 2 t5 bulbs. filtration done by a Penguin 350 HOB filter.

Currently it houses 2 blood parrot cichlids (about 3") each and a jack dempsey.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice tank! cool fish also!

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool set up.....Doylestown? I'm over in Mercer County NJ (Ewing)

I never thought of the patio blocks....I have a blood parrot too, it is getting too big to fit under the existing rocks I have set up might have to take a trip this week to HD. one ?....With just one Penguin 350 are you having issues with cloudy water? I have to run an EMP 400 and a Pen 350 with an Internal Filter from Aquatop.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the comments guys

Holy Crap do I have issues with cloudy water now. This picture was taken before the fish were added. I had 2 big parrots (the size of a tennis ball) to start with and a pleco. Wasn't to bad but now I recently adopted another big parrot and a columbian catfish. I think I may be overstocked now, my water is cloudy even after a 40-50% water change.

I have 3 filters running on the tank with no change. The pengiun 350, an aquaclear 50, and an eheim canister filter.

It's a shame I need to get rid of a fish or 2 but nobody really wants the big parrots. Hoping maybe I can get a 40 breeder or a 55 and put two of the fish in there to help.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiezzi View Post
thanks for the comments guys

Holy Crap do I have issues with cloudy water now. This picture was taken before the fish were added. I had 2 big parrots (the size of a tennis ball) to start with and a pleco. Wasn't to bad but now I recently adopted another big parrot and a columbian catfish. I think I may be overstocked now, my water is cloudy even after a 40-50% water change.

I have 3 filters running on the tank with no change. The pengiun 350, an aquaclear 50, and an eheim canister filter.

It's a shame I need to get rid of a fish or 2 but nobody really wants the big parrots. Hoping maybe I can get a 40 breeder or a 55 and put two of the fish in there to help.
I had hazy water, have you thought of using Purgen and or Matrix by SeaChem?

I love their stuff. I picked up 4 Purgen bags (100ml) and a liter of Matrix. within 2 hours crystal clear. Are your Levels ok? Amm/Nitrite/Nitrate ?

Amazon carries it , cheaper than most LFS.
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advise I will grab some purgen. Do you mean the matrix carbon?

You are running hang on the back filters do you just put the bags into the filter? If I can maybe I will just run the canister filter on this tank and do away with my other 2 filters..

My water quality is ok a little high on the nitrates but as long as I do regular water changes it drops down. The water is from my R.O. Unit since we have very hard water here.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you get the purgen in the bag
Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 100ml: Pet Supplies

It can be put after the filter media in the Penguin or in the AquaClear as well.
(Id put it after the sponge)

Matrix (non carbon) is like bio media, rocks but the water can pass through it..making it easy for Beneficial Bacteria to attach to it

Seachem. Matrix
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah no canister (next on the List) just 2 HOB's with an Internal Filter from AquaTop Although it filters a lot of water....Designed for small ponds.

I have Matrix in that as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would do more wc's, and look into getting a bnp. they are much smaller, and will have smaller bio load. also getting rid of a fish would help.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is a video of the fish and tank. The parrots are a little bigger now and so is the columbian shark.

Tags
55 gallon, cichlid, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com