My 55g cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markiezzi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is my 55g cichlid tank in the beginning. Play sand for the base, Patio rocks from Home Depot for the rock work. Lighting provided by 2 t5 bulbs. filtration done by a Penguin 350 HOB filter.

Currently it houses 2 blood parrot cichlids (about 3") each and a jack dempsey.

img_1855982_0_5403a7db447accb6fd42d77e47c312e6.jpg

Cool set up.....Doylestown? I'm over in Mercer County NJ (Ewing)

I never thought of the patio blocks....I have a blood parrot too, it is getting too big to fit under the existing rocks I have set up might have to take a trip this week to HD. one ?....With just one Penguin 350 are you having issues with cloudy water? I have to run an EMP 400 and a Pen 350 with an Internal Filter from Aquatop.

thanks for the comments guys :)

Holy Crap do I have issues with cloudy water now. This picture was taken before the fish were added. I had 2 big parrots (the size of a tennis ball) to start with and a pleco. Wasn't to bad but now I recently adopted another big parrot and a columbian catfish. I think I may be overstocked now, my water is cloudy even after a 40-50% water change.

I have 3 filters running on the tank with no change. The pengiun 350, an aquaclear 50, and an eheim canister filter.

It's a shame I need to get rid of a fish or 2 but nobody really wants the big parrots. Hoping maybe I can get a 40 breeder or a 55 and put two of the fish in there to help.

thanks for the comments guys :)

Holy Crap do I have issues with cloudy water now. This picture was taken before the fish were added. I had 2 big parrots (the size of a tennis ball) to start with and a pleco. Wasn't to bad but now I recently adopted another big parrot and a columbian catfish. I think I may be overstocked now, my water is cloudy even after a 40-50% water change.

I have 3 filters running on the tank with no change. The pengiun 350, an aquaclear 50, and an eheim canister filter.

It's a shame I need to get rid of a fish or 2 but nobody really wants the big parrots. Hoping maybe I can get a 40 breeder or a 55 and put two of the fish in there to help.

I had hazy water, have you thought of using Purgen and or Matrix by SeaChem?

I love their stuff. I picked up 4 Purgen bags (100ml) and a liter of Matrix. within 2 hours crystal clear. Are your Levels ok? Amm/Nitrite/Nitrate ?

Amazon carries it , cheaper than most LFS.

Thanks for the advise I will grab some purgen. Do you mean the matrix carbon?

You are running hang on the back filters do you just put the bags into the filter? If I can maybe I will just run the canister filter on this tank and do away with my other 2 filters..

My water quality is ok a little high on the nitrates but as long as I do regular water changes it drops down. The water is from my R.O. Unit since we have very hard water here.

Yeah no canister (next on the List) just 2 HOB's with an Internal Filter from AquaTop Although it filters a lot of water....Designed for small ponds.

I have Matrix in that as well.

i would do more wc's, and look into getting a bnp. they are much smaller, and will have smaller bio load. also getting rid of a fish would help.

Did you use bricks? Untrusting choice in my 120g African cichlid tank I have 135lbs of slate.

They are paver blocks used for walkways & driveways. I saw them being used in a few other cichlid tanks so figured why not give it a try. And the cost was great about $1 a brick.

markiezzi said:
They are paver blocks used for walkways & driveways. I saw them being used in a few other cichlid tanks so figured why not give it a try. And the cost was great about $1 a brick.
Check eBay! I got 27 pounds of tiger stripe rock for $27 with free shipping! It was a killer deal :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120325_193114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120325_193114.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 158
Looks great! I have always been nervous about pavers, but I guess you helped fix that! Great job

Back
Top Bottom