My 55g Himalayan River Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently set up a 55 gallon biotope of a Himalayan river. It is based on the Tista River in the Himalayan foothills, not the more violent currents, that are found higher in the mountains. Wanted to do something different with an unheated tank and the Himalayan fascinate me. Probably one of the few Himalayan biotopes out there!:)

I built river manifold system with 2 Aquaclear 70 powerheads. Will replace the sponges with larger ones. Filter is an old Eheim Classic 2217. Need to replace some of the plants not suited to this biotope, so will be sparser planted. First fish after cycling are 4 Giant Danios (which are native to N India, not Malabar region). They are much more lively as in the store with so much current. Interesting to see them play in the current and snatch flakes out of it.

img_2645498_0_6a24e5f0660726d64280676b39832842.jpg

img_2645498_1_6f408fd174ebe06580ca4fcae241dfe1.jpg

Eventual stock list:
7 Giant Danios
5 Rosy Barbs
3 Yoyo Loaches
1 Indian Torrent Catfish
3? Macrobrachium Freshwater Shrimp

Zebra Danios would be possible, but could be overstocked, so will probably not add any.

Interested to hear thoughts and opinions!

And last, a not so great photo of the giant danios.
img_2645498_2_d1c1f9602fa9c8ef4e5c84b88a1ade28.jpg

Currently set up a 55 gallon biotope of a Himalayan river. It is based on the Tista River in the Himalayan foothills, not the more violent currents, that are found higher in the mountains. Wanted to do something different with an unheated tank and the Himalayan fascinate me. Probably one of the few Himalayan biotopes out there!:)

I built river manifold system with 2 Aquaclear 70 powerheads. Will replace the sponges with larger ones. Filter is an old Eheim Classic 2217. Need to replace some of the plants not suited to this biotope, so will be sparser planted. First fish after cycling are 4 Giant Danios (which are native to N India, not Malabar region). They are much more lively as in the store with so much current. Interesting to see them play in the current and snatch flakes out of it.

Eventual stock list:
7 Giant Danios
5 Rosy Barbs
3 Yoyo Loaches
1 Indian Torrent Catfish
3? Macrobrachium Freshwater Shrimp

Zebra Danios would be possible, but could be overstocked, so will probably not add any.

Interested to hear thoughts and opinions!

And last, a not so great photo of the giant danios.

Is it a true biotope?

Nice 'scape! Love that piece of driftwood. To be honest though that background needs to go in favor of something like a solid black.

The backround is not so great and need to be replaced, but not like the look of black for this aquarium.

Is it a true biotope?
What you mean? :confused: If that fish all occur in same river/habitat in nature, then yes. Most of the plants also, but it may not be quite as barren as in nature (because I like some plants besides mosses in the aquarium). It is recreation of the Tista River as it widens in the foothills, not the rapids higher in the mountains.

Putting together a biotope involves a lot of time and research - and getting to come out exactly as you want it to can be difficult. You've done a nice job there. Personally I think the blue background goes nicely with what you are creating here. Are you going to be using any taller stem plants in the back to help break up the rockwork and background?

here is update, but no new photos, because still work on it. After ich outbreak of danios under control, finally could add more fish. Decided to not add yoyo loaches, because tank too small, after I read to keep them in 5+ groups.

Current stock list:
6x Giant Danios
5x Rosy Barbs
3x Zipper Loaches

Plants include Vallisneria, Java Fern, Java Moss, Giant Ambulia (which rosy barbs have almost defoliated:()

Here are 2 of my zipper loaches. Was lucky, that a LFS, that I never visited before had them, because no else sell them (even on internet). Very cool fish to watch! Behave like North American darters. I am not sure, if mine are Acanthocobitis botia, because markings are different as internet photos - so probably a different Acanthocobitis sp.

img_2688679_0_3be164563e15fc7c81cfacf6917a6b95.jpg

Back
Top Bottom