My 700 litre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now that my tank is a year old, I've decided to give it a thread, will basically be progress pics ( not that it really changes much ) and new additions, nothing too technical cos I don't pretend to know more than I do, I have a very basic understanding of how to keep fish and that's how I like it, my tanks will never win awards and probably look average compared most but I'm cool with that, I prefer the fish to the plants anyway.. To begin with I used to watch and stress over every single change in the tank, be it fish movement or visual changes to temp variation and water parameters, I spent hours and hours googling answers, I reckon my wife began to doubt my sanity for a while, it's strange how the more you look the more you think you find.
I've been keeping fish for a little over 2 years now ( I don't include the time I unknowingly tortured goldfish in bench top bowls as fish keeping!! ) I've had a total of 3 tanks ( not including QT ) my 1st was 250ltrs, 2nd tank is 90ltrs and this is the 3rd ( it replaced the 1st )
I still enjoy my tank maintenance, it's strictly routine and thorough and as such my weekly water tests always returned the same results so now I rarely do them, unless something looks wrong with fish behaviour. Although the excitement from being new to fish keeping has long past, I do still get excited when I bring home a new fish and the ease of an established tank makes the hobby so much better.. I am still a fish tragic, I know every aquarium within a 20km radius of home and a few a bit further and I frequent the better 1st regularly just to see if they have anything good.
I can't grow substrate feeding plants to save my life but plants that feed from the water column seem to do really well, anubias and Java ferns etc ( I know they're super easy to grow ) I don't add and co2 or equivalent or ferts, just the basic chems to make the water habitable

June 2015. 250ltr
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483085565.996220.jpg
My 1st tank at the stage I think it looked it's best, still rock'n goldfish due to the level my confidence was at regarding fish keeping

Sept 2015
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483085718.727345.jpg
Same tank, 2 weeks before the upgrade, due to the tank size tripling, I needed a new filter and lots more media so I got an early start on growing the new bb, the filter for the big tank was set up on this ( see the disturbance on the surface, the filter is rated at 2700 ltrs per hr so it was quite lively in there for a bit

Dec 2015
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483086039.404299.jpg
Unfortunately I lost all the pics I took of the delivery, installation and set up but as a guide for how much bigger this tank is than the previous, it has the same plants and dw, I obviously had to add more gravel ( 60kg ) and a few extra rocks.. Not knowing how I wanted to set it up is why it stayed so basic since September.. I only had the 1 x 4ft light to begin with, the 2nd wouldn't come until I sold the original tank and used that $ to pay for it..

Ps. Not sure what happening with the extra post of the first pic?..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483085271.682467.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483085271.682467.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 115
Jan 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483086611.110170.jpg
Decided on some used, but 2yrs dry dw so I didn't have to worry about tannins cos at 5ft long, I was gunna have a hard time finding a pot big enough to boil it in ;) The guy I bought it off ( same place I got the tank ) told me it should sink within 2 weeks, I'm still having to weigh I'd down to this day but for the first 6 or so months, I had it submerged but still at the top of the tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483086970.305015.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483087009.656855.jpg

Feb 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483087422.463031.jpg
After a few months of felling bad for wanting to change from goldfish, I decided to make the move, feeling pretty confident, I traded all 4 for 2 discus, may as well just in the deep end, added some boesemani to my existing turquoise and salmon red rainbow population.. Upgraded the heater to something a little more reliable and accurate, with a digital reading on an external temp gauge, and a separate digital temp gauge

April 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483088035.337354.jpg
If you look closely, in the back left hand corner, you can faintly make out 2 discus, they were tending to their eggs..
Added some pacific blue eyes and Celebes rainbows

June 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483128792.984238.jpg
So over the next few months I lost all but 1 discus, I did everything I could to keep them happy, 3x weekly water changes with gravel vac etc but as I found out recently, discus from the guy I got them off rarely last more than 6 weeks but whatever.. I decided that the sole remaining discus would have to stay solo ( which doesn't seem to effect him ) I also noticed that the dw was heavy enough that 1 of the bigger rocks could confidently keep it on the bottom without the dw trying to roll ( which happened the first day it was in there, putting a chip in the rear glass ) I also added some internal sponge filters cos the wife wanted bubbles so I figured, may as well put them to good use

Sept 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483129515.596268.jpg
The swords I'd added a few months earlier, to my surprise, were still kicking although their big leaves had to be removed, the main stems with the sproutlets ( whatever you call them ) were getting a little out of control
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483129708.711220.jpg
Also added a little Sprite for some surface coverage and some Java fern to fill in some open areas

Oct 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483130641.326047.jpg
Starting to fill in
Added a 3rd anubias to a small bit of dw I had laying around and got rid of the sponge filters cos they're a pain to clean and replaced them with air stones

Nov 2016
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1483131203.133597.jpg
(Had to downsize the pic for some reason)
Added some moss onto the large dw as suggested by someone on this forum and removed the air stones

I've just sat down and did a head count, 1st in quite a while..

Albino Cory x 5
Boesemani Rainbow x 7
Celebes Rainbow x 5
Discus x 1
Flying Fox x 2
Harlequin & Purple Rasbora x 5
Kuhli Loach x 5 ( I bought 5 though I'm not sure how many are in there cos I rarely see them )
Lacustris Rainbow x 5
McCulloch Rainbow x 4
Murray River Rainbow x 4
Odessa Barb x 5
Pacific Blue Eye x 4
Pakistani Loach x 2
Pearl Danio x 2
Peppermint Pleco x 1 ( haven't seen him for a while but I'm sure he is still hiding in there somewhere )
Praecox Rainbow x 3
Red Irian Rainbow x 3
SAE x 1
Torpedo Barb x 4
Upside Down Catfish x 2
White Cloud Mountain Minnow x 12 ( were the 1st fish I bought for my 1st tank )
Zebra Danio x 3 ( were the 2nd fish I bought for my 1st tank )

On a side note, if you pay close attention to the bottom right hand corner, in most of the pics you can see 1 of the few things that has been the same since the first tank, 2 years unchanged

Back
Top Bottom