My 75Gal Planted Discus Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give my opinion if you want it. Good luck getting in and out w/o buying!

Update with Pictures!

So at another Un-named forumn, I met a local member and she had tons of DuckWeed. I was weary about it, but overall I like the effect. While I was there, she decided that she was going to get rid of one of her tanks, so she came me some anubias? and the long grass (can't remember the name - had it years back but it died during a move)

I moved the upright driftwood, and got rid of a piece. The second piece is now half buried, and I think it looks a lot more natural/appropriately placed. What do you think?

Sorry for the crummy Pics - SLR was at work - this is my Cellphone pics.

Driftwood placement: Right side of tank:

FTS: (most of it, anyway)

Ohhhh kay... :-( THe background can change - Black hid algae. Maybe a light blue? I just find black is the only thing that "looks good" with plants. I can be pursuaded though. Going to hunt through the member galleries for inspiration.

So, Little bit of a wrench in my plans.

The ballast came.

I took apart my current fixture - Its a piece of CRAP.

The "ballasts" are Shrink wrapped PCB's with a few capacitors/transistors.
And there's two of them. ANd they're about 18 inches long, and slim/flexible, so they squeeze on either side of the reflector.

New Epson Ballast clearly won't fit.

As well - The power lines are soldered to the end caps, which can barely hold a bulb. THey're kind of wedged in there.

I might have to go custom - and canniblize the reflector. I'm just trying to figure out what I have here or at my folks place that would make a good box to hold the lights/reflector/ballast.

I may do a stained wooden one, and hang it instead of mounting it on the tank.

... stay tuned.

Uploaded them to my gallery on Aquarium Advice, then when you do theres BBCode at the bottom. If you're unable to, I think a small donation unlocks it. *not sure* I donated a LONG time ago.

Hi Guys, Been FOREVER and a day since the last update. Also had some troubles updating this thread after the update to AA.

However, its "Done".

Meaning, I finally got the discus!

So, The Cardinals are grown up, I've merged my 44 gallon into this tank, and the temperature is stable at 85 degrees.

PH is stable at 8.3->8.4 depending on Water change (8.4 after waterchange, 8.3 Before water change

I'm doing 20% water changes every other or every 3rd day.

So, total stock list:

2 Serpai Corydora's
14 Cardinals
5 Black neon Tetra's
1 SAE
1 Millenium or Crystal yellow Discus
2 Blue Turquoise Discus
2 Red Melon Discus

Below are pictures:

img_1916105_0_a2798e2ae07f0d1e955719d5b2986b49.jpg

img_1916105_1_c7122a4fa2b0398fa704ed446c87ecf8.jpg

img_1916105_2_a90a345fc083a09b96496f0562ab3005.jpg

img_1916105_3_bac38ddf99a1a4b7b6d8a16e8cc5407e.jpg

img_1916105_4_d743df970a955fa8855d8582728322c4.jpg

The yellow one has been named O'Doyle, because he's a bully. "O'doyle Rules"

Also, here's a video of them 24 hours after being put in the tank.
Discus Feeding & Bully - YouTube

They were all eating heartily within 12 hours of being in my tank. I though the Ph would stress them out and they wouldn't eat for a few days, however, they're hungry little buggers. (not so little...)

Acclimation occured over 4 hours with a heated, airated bucket, and a slow drip via air hosing and a brass valve.
Acclimating Discus Bucket Method 1/4 - YouTube
Acclimating Discus Bucket Method 2/4 - YouTube

Thanks for reading! I'll update more as the tank changes. Hoping to get some Cuba for the forground, but my lights aren't very strong. I retrofitted my old lights into that big black wooden enclosure on top, so now its 2X54 watt T5HO

The Next project will be painting the back of the aquarium. Probably 1/3rd at a time, as it'll be while the tank is in place! there isa bout 4-5 inches from the wall, so I'm guessing a roller on a stick with a good stickey oil based paint will be fine. I'll be taping a drop sheet over the back side of the tank to make 100% sure.

Has anyone used a Tan color for the back of their tank? Any idea how it'll look in a planted tank?

Last edited:
I've seen it in some youtube videos. Tan looks good and I would consider it myself. But mine is already painted black so I'll stick with that as it's a big job to change and black hides the filter nozzles well.

If you are trying to brighten up your discus color I read in a few posts that substrate has a much bigger effect on discus color than background does. You may want to look into that.

I'll start with the tan background first, Then see about maybe putting a light layer oveer the eco complete. I really like the substrate as is though.

keep us posted. it will be interesting to see how it looks and the effect on your discus color.

thanks

So, just an update - I sold O'doyle, he was beating up the other discus to a level I wasn't comfortable with.

When I went to cuba in June, I came back to a dead discus - No idea what cause, he was eating fine before. i think he might have gotten hungry and choked on a cardinal.

a few weeks ago, I lost another dicus to what I'm assuming was internal parisites. I put him into QT a bit too late, the prazipro did get him to poop out white stringy parasites, but it was too late and he passed.

About 3 weeks ago, I also got my christmas gift - a Pressureized CO2 System from Kijiji. 120 bucks for 2, 5 pound containers, silicone tubing, a Red Sea Reactor, Solinoid, and red sea regulator. An awesome find.

3 weeks later - My plant growth has doubled, my algae problems are gone. Amazing.

I have it set to about 1.5 bubbles per second, into a power head.

737149_534365933253666_552272128_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom