My beautiful column tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeknightica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm really proud of these guys! This is my first community tank other than my goldfish tank, and I love all of my babies in it. It's a weeeeeee bit overstocked, but its chemistry is just fine, and no one's getting nibbled on! I'm on top of my tanks like an overprotective mother. xD

Do you guys have any beautiful pics of your first tanks? :3

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 696
Thanks! :} They're just fake plants and ornaments. I wanna use some real plants in it, but my Pleco and silver dollars may have them a feast instead. ^ ^'

Looks lovely! What size tank is it? I've been thinking of a cube or column tank for a particular spot in my apartment.

It's a 15 gal that's about two feet-ish high and a foot in width. d:

Love it!! Is that a angel fish I see? Does it not fight with the Gourami?

Oh, I had thought bigger - going to have to watch stocking unfortunately.

Yeeeah, admittedly, I went a little fish crazy at the pet store, but everything seems fine for now. I may split them up a little down the line.

Most of those species will need more space. Your tank looks good for now but ...

Giant Danios need swimming room. At least 36" Long tanks 30g + They do best in large groups as they will chase and harass slower fish like Angels and Gouramis.

An Angel usually does best in at least 20tall-29g Multiple Angels ? 55g prob best.

3spot Gouramis can get quite aggressive but temperament varies. Some are very nasty as they hit breeding size. They can hit about 6". Some stay peaceful. Bigger tanks like 55g give them room to have a territory.

I can't see the species of Pleco. Commons need over 100g
Bristlenose need 30g or more.

Silver Dollars get BIG, fast. They get about 6" and do best in groups.
"Size of fish - inches: 5.9 inches (15.01 cm)
Lifespan: 10 years - They have a lifespan of 10 years or longer in captivity.
Fish Keeping Difficulty
Silver Dollar Fish are fairly hardy and easy to care for. Although this fish is fairly durable, the aquarist must be prepared to maintain a very large tank. They are suggested for a fish keeper with some experience as a school or 5 or more will require an aquarium of 75 gallons or larger."

Whoever sold you these species did not do you any favors.

Ok, I'm so sorry to dump all this info on you.

Column tanks are tricky to stock.

For 15g ??
I'd stock a couple of nice groups of small fish like Neons or Harlequin Rasboras.
Maybe a single Dwarf or Honey Gourami and either Otos or a Nerite.

You could get a group of tiny Corydoras like C habrosus. They prefer sand and live plants but they may do fine without.

Fish to not grow to the size of the tank. Big species stunt and die in small tanks.

Don't get discouraged. We've all started out with poor fish choices.

Just make sure you research before you buy going forward.

I think I see long fin Skirt Tetras ? They could stay. But they are nippy so need groups of 6 or more.

Yeah, I just set up another space for them to split them up a few days ago. I'm a little on the poor side, but I make do. d:

Thanks! At least I hope so. Admittedly, I'm still kinda new to this. ^ ^'

Trust me I did too! I had 2 Bristlenose Plecos, 4 Gourami and 2 Weather loaches in a small tank had great filtration till I had power cut then disease got ammonia spiked and I lost my tank. The hardest lesson to learn no problems with water till then. That's why I pledged never to over stock my tank again. Just keep learning

Back
Top Bottom