My discus planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Various quite common plants-discus-African bush fish-sterba cories-bleeding heart tetra-spotted bristle nose-kribensis chichlids
I have a external 300l filter tank is injected with co2 from fire extinguisher next to tank and tank is 240l

image-3705346005.jpg

image-2235832492.jpg

image-2542345007.jpg

Wow! Great looking tank! I have not heard of injecting co2 with a fire extinguisher. I really like your tank! Oh and welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Wow! Great looking tank! I have not heard of injecting co2 with a fire extinguisher. I really like your tank! Oh and welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Thanks soo much worked hard for it. And I got the fire extinguisher from work as it was outdated then I had to buy a regulator costing £15 and then just a bubble counter and diffuser simply undo one nut plug it all in and that's it! Only problem I've found is a couple of times I've knocked the regulator and pumped a tone of co2 into tank lol surprised it hasn't smashed the diffuser! You wanna see a pic of the set up???

The DIY co2 injection with fire extinguisher set up... You don't need one as big as mine it's probably a three year supply lol!

image-96543784.jpg

image-2078964847.jpg

Thanks soo much worked hard for it. And I got the fire extinguisher from work as it was outdated then I had to buy a regulator costing £15 and then just a bubble counter and diffuser simply undo one nut plug it all in and that's it! Only problem I've found is a couple of times I've knocked the regulator and pumped a tone of co2 into tank lol surprised it hasn't smashed the diffuser! You wanna see a pic of the set up???

Pictures are always welcome :) I didn't realize that there were pure co2 fire extinguishers.

Pictures are always welcome :) I didn't realize that there were pure co2 fire extinguishers.

Apparently they are pure I thought they had an additive because of the white smoke they make when you let them off but that is just due to the cold gas when let off but I've had absolutely no problems bar hitting the valve! ...oh and algae when it's too high hahha

I really like this tank, one day I would love to have some discus but I hope ppl that see your co2 extinguisher realize there are multiple classes of fire extinguishers and don't try to put any old one on there system :0

Lovely set up Joey, seen some nice Discus systems over the years and yours is well up there with the best.

The only thing I'm not too fond of in the tank now is the chaotic background I think I've got enough plants and the plants in the background are too much. Anybody else agree if so in going to spray paint the background black because I don't like the idea of painting the actual glass????

Black would look great, however a darker environment tends to pepper discus' faces. Personally I don't mind the peppering, as mine aren't show discus.

My favourite out of the lot is the really peppered one I just think it looks more natural so I don't mind that and I thought it was dark surroundings and lack of light when they where fry is that not true???

My favourite out of the lot is the really peppered one I just think it looks more natural so I don't mind that and I thought it was dark surroundings and lack of light when they where fry is that not true???

I think they can pepper at any age. I have a 4" Marlboro red who developed the markings after a few months of being in my tank.

I think they can pepper at any age. I have a 4" Marlboro red who developed the markings after a few months of being in my tank.

Wow that's interesting! Learn something new everyday discus become higher and higher in my expectations hahaha

Back
Top Bottom