My First Aquascape - Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been very interested in trying to aquascape, so here goes my first attempt:

Hardscape 08/12/13
LmPNj9P.jpg

Decor - Driftwood and some stones
Substrate - ADA Amazonia Powder & CaribSea Moonlight Sand

I got some HC Cuba, java moss, Christmas moss, crystalwort, windelov and several others. I'll likely use the ones listed, but I'll update with all the plants I'll use later.

I'm going to have to upgrade the light for some of those plants; I was thinking Finnex Ray2 or Finnex FugeRay. Thoughts or experiences?

Will keep you posted. Feel free to share your thoughts, opinion, critiques or just say hi :)

Looking good so far :)

When you start planting you'll figure out where to head next... maybe add some more stones to the right side for a more natural feel?

For some reason, I can't post cuz I am marked on the blacklist or something. Not sure what I did wrong.

Edit: Apparently, I can again...

Edit2: Forgot to mention; thanks for the suggestion fishman :) I think I may add even smaller stones, like large gravel, to give it more of a contrast from the ADA powder and large stones.

Planted 08/13/14
iAI4v3Y.jpg

I took this picture two days ago but have been unable to update because I was on the blacklist for being suspicious or something.

Anyways, I have in there HC, Crystalwart, Xmas moss, Windelov, Blyxa Japonica and Anubias.

I took the smaller rocks and am using them for the Crystalwart to grow on. I may get more smaller rocks, but so far it looks okay.

I will likely put in Java moss later to give the larger rocks a more natural feel.

I also removed the sand because I felt it wasn't going to do anything for me.

The tank has now been filled for two days and water is rather cloudy. I went online to see why and it seems that some bags of ADA are 'bad'. Perhaps mine is one of those? Maybe. I've been doing 40% water changes twice a day and no improvements yet. Read that activated carbon helps reduce the cloudiness. I believe the stock filter media has carbon in it so I will just stuff another one of those carbon bags in there and see.

If you got advice on how to clear the cloudy water, please share. Thanks. Will post updated photos once water is more clear.

08/18/14
x8KMmNI.jpg

Day 5 since tank was flooded

Water has cleared up a lot but not all the way. The ADA soil cleared up after two days, but there are tannins from the driftwood. I got some purigen, so that should clear it up.

My plants are doing well. Took out the Blyxa because I don't think I can maintain it. Moved the Anubias into it's spot. The Crystalwart and HC are doing really well. My Christmas moss is doing okay, but small bits of it are dying.

I haven't done much for my plants yet until my Fluval FugeRay gets here, but the ADA soil seems to be really helping them grow.

Tank looks awesome dude! I'm jealous of it! Love that piece of wood with the rocks below it, very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks a million Bichir Bro! :D

Small Update Time:

So some good and bad news...

Good news!
I got my Finnex FugeRay 18" on Tuesday and it's such a huge step up. I love the light and it's a massive improvement. So much that...

ucQyieS.jpg

My crystalwart is already pearling and growing faster than ever! Just two days with this light and already a grand improvement.
All my plants are doing really well... except for the HC Cuba.

VR9omF6.jpg

About 70% of my HC Cuba is melting or has melted. The ones that aren't melting appear to be doing well, but most are dead. I am not sure why, but my lighting has been poor before I got my FugeRay. I do not think it's the Excel doses because none of my other plants are suffering.

I have only been dosing 1-2ml of Excel every other day and I have used Flourish about twice since the tank set up. I have been doing a lot of water changes due to the tannins, but I stopped since Tuesday.

I might have to take out all the HC and try again, probably with a different plant this time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my HC is melting or how I can save them? Or can anyone recommend maybe a more forgiving carpet plant that doesn't grow too tall (like hair grass).

Awesome! I am attempting my first aquascape, but in a 10 gallon for my Betta! I hope mine comes out as good as yours! Going shopping tomorrow! And I'm terribly addicted to my tanks and would like to redo my 50 gallon for my puffers, but I have to take one thing at a time! :)

Be sure to post pictures when you do! I'd love to see them. Much luck with your tank. :)

Mine will be very simple as it's my first actual planted tank. I have a lot to learn. What about baby's tears to carpet? Or does that sometimes grow up? (I'm new if that doesn't make sense. Haha)

Hemianthus callitrichoides, also known as HC or Dwarf Baby Tears, is what I already have planted. It's a nice plant (and expensive), but as you can see, I'm having quite difficulty with them at the moment. I'm not an expert either, but I do know a few things or two about plants. I wouldn't recommend it if you are new to planted tanks. I will update the progress of my HC and we'll see whether or not I can recover them or if I fail :p

That dwarf grass? Lol. I don't know the fancy name. Hehe.

No, Eleocharis acicularis is known as Dwarf Hair Grass. You said Baby Tears in your previous comment, which is what I mentioned above.

But thank you for reminding me, I might switch to Dwarf Hair Grass instead of Baby Tears if it doesn't work out.

I've been doing research and I heard Glosso is a pretty easy and fast growing carpet plant that does not demand too much. You should try looking there. If you got some SS mesh, you should try Crystalwart too. I posted a picture of it and it's doing so well right now. By far one of the easiest plants to get going in my fish tank so far. It just requires a lot of maintenance when it grows out, but it pearls so beautifully.

Well my LFS are not aquascape friendly. There is only one with actual driftwood and they don't have what I have pictured in my mind at all. So my tank is just going to be plants for a while and two lil tiny pieces of driftwood. Oh well. I'll see if I can keep the plants alive first! :D

09/31/14
JLAQqy8.jpg

I left on vacation for a week and this is what happened. I guess I left the light on too long... Haha

I got tons of green and brown algae and lots of thread algae. I have been cleaning it for three days and it looks a lot better than the picture above. Actually, I really like the green algae in my tank. It grew all over my rocks and the underside of my driftwood. Gives it a lovely natural touch that I am striving for.

However, I hate brown and thread algae. Been dosing extra Excel and doing water changes daily. Also cutting back on light a bit. My tank will probably return back to normal after a few weeks, so I'm not too concerned overall. It seems better already.

I also got a big cyclops outbreak, but they don't do much so I don't care. When I get my fish, they will probably take a chunk out of the population anyways.

And last bit of news, the HC has stopped melting and are thriving. About 2/3 of the HC that has melted has been recovered with new stems. It's growing wonderfully, but no pearling yet. Regardless, I'm happy that they are doing well.

CRxFIbw.jpg

Thank you Hoffman!

Quick update:

Much of the algae is gone, but still plenty left.

I also couldn't stand the riccia anymore. The maintenance of that plant is way too high for what it is, despite being pretty. If only it wasn't so messy.

I replaced the riccia with some susswassertang and added back in the blyxa japonica. Not too sure if I like the susswassertang right now. I think I need to trim it into a smaller ball. We'll see.

Anyways, all plants are pretty doing well and I'm just about ready to add livestock. I'm thinking of red cherries, amano shrimp and/or mosquito rasboras.

Next time I'll update, I will have livestock in. Looking forward to sharing it.

CRxFIbw.jpg

Thank you Hoffman!

Quick update:

Much of the algae is gone, but still plenty left.

I also couldn't stand the riccia anymore. The maintenance of that plant is way too high for what it is, despite being pretty. If only it wasn't so messy.

I replaced the riccia with some susswassertang and added back in the blyxa japonica. Not too sure if I like the susswassertang right now. I think I need to trim it into a smaller ball. We'll see.

Anyways, all plants are pretty doing well and I'm just about ready to add livestock. I'm thinking of red cherries, amano shrimp and/or mosquito rasboras.

Next time I'll update, I will have livestock in. Looking forward to sharing it.

I like the idea of Amano Shrimp, they'd look sweet with that backround. I know I've been like recommending these guys a lot but In all seriousness Peacock Gudgeons would look sick in that tank. And they'd love it too it has all their favorite things.
But I do love the idea of a butt-ton of Chili Rasboras and a colony of Shrimp!
Still drooling over that tank dude!

I'm a bit envious of your aquascaping abilities. Looks awesome and peacock gudgeons would def be cool, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom