My first tank! 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black felt with glitter...what a fun choice.

Thanks! I wanted a black bg and Ed wanted a blue holographic one. The black glitter felt was only 77 cents for a 9 x12 piece. I needed 2.5, but bought 4 for $3.33. It's the stiff felt, not the soft felt so it cost a little more, but it stands up nicely behind my tank. I trimmed it down to 11in high and used masking tape along the top and bottom black frame to keep it in place.

ahhhhhh one of the many lessons of patience, grasshopper.
don't worry it'll get there eventually.
Are you going planted?

Well at least it's the end of week 1. And I have some nitrItes already, so that's promising.

Yes I'm going to plant. Quite a bit of java moss and some anubias nana petites and then something tall for the background to hide the heater/filter. My husband doesn't want it heavily planted. I figure I'll add some plants when the ammonia finally starts going down. This will give me a chance to check out the lfs's.

That's ok, Matt. You're not the only to keep asking me. lol It will be much easier to remember once I plant and post pictures that I have plants.

Day 1 (8-26): ammonia = 8.0+
Day 2 (8-27): ammonia = 8.0+ nitrIte = 0
Day 3 (8-28 ): First: ammonia = 8.0+ After 50% PWC: ammonia = 8.0+
Day 4 (8-29): First: ammonia = 8.0+ After 50% PWC: ammonia = 4.0 > 8.0
Day 5 (8-30): Ammonia = 4.0 > 8.0, nitrIte = 0 > .25
Day 6 (8-31): evening: ammonia = 4.0, nitrIte = >.25, nitrAte = 5.0
Day 7 (9-1): morning: ammonia = 4.0, nitrIte = >.50, nitrAte = 5.0

Today at 4pm: ammonia = 4.0, nitrIte = 1.0 <--still climbing \^o^/

I think this deserves the Kirby dance:

(>'.')>
<('.'<)
(>'.')>

Day 7 (9-1): evening Ammonia = 4.0+ NitrIte = 1.0
Day 8 (9-2): Ammonia = 4.0 NitrIte = 1.0
Day 9 (9-3): Ammonia = 2.0+ (closer to 4.0) NitrIte = 5.0

This part of the worst time IMO! It takes aaaaages for the nitrite to come down in comparison with the ammonia. At least it did for me.

Day 10 (9-4): Ammonia = 2.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
Day 11 (9-5): Ammonia = 2.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
Day 12 (9-6): Ammonia = 1.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
~added more ammonia. I just dipped a stick in the ammonia and threw some drops in the tank, probably about 6-10.
Tested: Ammonia = 2.0 NitrIte = 5.0
Day 13 (9-7): Ammonia = 1.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
~added about the same amount of ammonia again. I tried to do a little more.
Tested: Ammonia = 2.0 NitrIte = 5.0

I'll test again tonight and probably add some more ammonia. The first time I did a capful and that was about 20+ ppm. I might try pouring a tiny bit into a paper cup and then slowly put in a few drops from it.

I'm going to run out of my ammonia test at this rate.

Edit: I tested ammonia again before adding more and it was at 1.0. So I did the paper cup thing, but instead of dropping I still threw it in (IT REEKS!!). I tested an hour later and it's at /almost/ 4.0 (just a little lighter).

I finally figured out what ammonia smells like....hair color. duh. Or I should rather say: that awful stench I smell in my eyeballs when I color my hair is ammonia. I'm so afraid to inhale whenever I dose my tank. I hold my breath and it takes longer than I'd like to pour and I end up throwing whatever random amount in there. Oh well...still better than watching a shrimp rot I bet. X_X

Last edited:
Thank you! I think I might be able to add fish maybe this weekend. I was planning on the cycle taking 2-5 weeks.

Day 14 (9-8 ): this morning, Ammonia = 2.0

Oh yes I know. I'm just hoping it will drop that fast. HOPING!! lol

Yes I know I'm cycled when 4ppm of ammonia drops to 0 in 24 hours (and nitrItes are 0). I'm going to test this twice before I even declare the cycle over.

Just hoping it will be fast! (I've been waiting for fish for 3 months now.)

Day 14 (9-8 ): Ammonia = 2.0, NitrIte = 5.0 (or more)

Don't lose your cool if you discover it stays the way it is for a couple of weeks. Not trying to be a killjoy or anything, but my fishless cycle took almost 5 weeks total.

I know its hard, and you have been really good in being patient. Just a little longer now.... :)

I can't remember.....were you only able to get gravel from your friend's tank? Maybe you could give them some fiber to put in their filter and then pick it up a few days later and get some O so good for your tank happy bacteria?? Just an idea. Hope it speeds up soon. Have you completely decided what you are going to put in your tank yet (in all this hurry up and wait time)?

Back
Top Bottom