My 'First' Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow...wonderful DWs. I wish I had more room in my tanks so I can request you to get me one. ;-)

Anyway, good job on finding those beautiful pieces. You should have DW business. You have a good eye on finding the cute ones.

My fave is the first one in the second batch of DWs.

Could someone with pure ammonia and a freshwater master kit try something with me? Test 5ml of pure ammonia with the ammonia solutions? I want to see if it skyrockets or sticks to a light yellow. If not for me, do it for science. :)

Thought I would help ya, I just tested 5ml of pure ammonia and came up with the same as you (light yellow) after the 5 min wait.

I wonder if it's something in the water that the ammonia reacts with the test is actually picking up, and it's not JUST the ammonia?? Does anyone know how the test actually works?? Chemists, nows your time to shine!

Thought I would help ya, I just tested 5ml of pure ammonia and came up with the same as you (light yellow) after the 5 min wait.

Hey wow thanks. Figured that got passed by unnoticed. Thanks for verifying my findings. It's interesting for sure.

Temp: 86
Amm: ~4ppm, Added some amm.
NO2 : 0
No3 : ~5
PH: 8.2

Going to have to do something about that PH...

As I've been told, drift wood is a temp fix...because it will stop leeching at some point...don't use ph down, that can hurt fish too...isn't 8.2 still in the safe range? As long as it stays stable? Fish much prefer a stable ph to the unstable "right" ph

I have decided where I'm going to put a piece (not telling yet) and I scrubbed/sprayed it down yesterday. My water comes down a big hill and is unregulated. Insane water pressure plus a special tip I bought gives me a low grade pressure washer right from the hose :D. I'm boiling it now, and will soak it for a few days. When it's tank ready we'll see what it does.

As I've been told, drift wood is a temp fix...because it will stop leeching at some point...don't use ph down, that can hurt fish too...isn't 8.2 still in the safe range? As long as it stays stable? Fish much prefer a stable ph to the unstable "right" ph

yeah, but if you watch the trend it, it's been drifting upward. My tap is 7.6

roundar said:
yeah, but if you watch the trend it, it's been drifting upward. My tap is 7.6

Oh...oops! I'm sorry...forgot to go back and read

Yeah, it's my shale that's bringing up the PH I'm certain. Tested again to be sure. 8.2

Hmmm I thought shale was ok...try slate! It looks good, and it doesn't affect ph

I'll leave it for now, Just going to see where it levels off.

PH: 8.2-8.3
Amm 3-4ppm
NO2: 0
NO3: ~5ppm

This morning I did not add Ammonia. Because ammonia is most toxic around this level of PH, and because ammonia's high PH raises the PH of the tank, I'm going to stop adding more. I don't want to stall the cycle by killing off the bacteria.

roundar said:
PH: 8.2-8.3
Amm 3-4ppm
NO2: 0
NO3: ~5ppm

This morning I did not add Ammonia. Because ammonia is most toxic around this level of PH, and because ammonia's high PH raises the PH of the tank, I'm going to stop adding more. I don't want to stall the cycle by killing off the bacteria.

That's basically what im doing right now.

I'll post all the readings at once later since they're pretty constant these last few days. Doing some research and wondering how many Chili Rasboras you guys think I could comfortably put in this tank.

Back
Top Bottom