My First Tank - 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornfedfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, this doesn't really match up to some that I have seen on here. It is kinda sparse but I was going for a desert theme. The large ornament is actually made for terrariums. The funny thing is that since I bought it my LFS has moved a bunch of them over from the reptile section to the fish section.

I am getting started on a new 20 gal so I am going to leave this one alone for a little while. I will probably add CO2 and a lot more plants to this one in the future. I may have to take down the desert BKG then.

I have only been into keeping fish for about 6 months and MTS is in full effect. My post title is a bit of a fib. I had a 10 gal Eclipse that was replaced by the 29 gal before I even got any fish into it. The Eclipse is in the garage till I find a place for it.

I'm leaning towards cichlids for the 20 gal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• aquarium_002_389.jpg
    aquarium_002_389.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 229
Looking good (y)

As for cichlids for the 20 gal not many cichlids can stay in a 20gal. I've heard about shellies being good for a tank of that size. I'm not sure if German Blue rams can go in a tank that size. There is a thread on this site about them.

Thanks for the advice. My other option for the 20 gal tank is to use it for breeding my Mollies. I believe that the female is pregnant.

LOL that is usually the case with mollies. Guppies too. I have a few molly fry and tons and I mean tons of guppy fry. Good luck with the babies when they are born. They are so cute.

What happens when the Molly parents are different colors? The female is silver and the male is either dalmation or orange. If you have any suggestions on where to get a fry net that would be appreciated too. I usually go to Pet Smart. I would assume they have them but I never really looked.

I prefer the plastic breeding tanks you can float in your tank. They have a compartment at the bottom the fry slide into and the mother stays on top. That way you can release her and not the fry. Most lfs's sell them. My mollies are a combination of a dalmation molly and a creamsicle molly. They have unique gold,orange and black spots. LOL, they're cute.

I have that same root thing! I had no idea it was made for reptiles. Unfortunately, it's hollow and has two holes on the underside, so my fish like to hide in it.

Ya, my betta likes to hide in the hole at the top. I used to have a ghost knife and it liked to hide in there too. I had to return the ghost knife though because he would have soon outgrown the tank and I don't have the money for a bigger one yet.

I have a Penguin 150 hob. I have read that many people prefer the Aqua Clear hob to the Penguin. I like the Penguin though, the filter that came with the tank from WalMart just wasn't cutting it for me.

Back
Top Bottom