My first tank - 46 liters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asgerlund

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there :) this is what I managed to do so far. Im having trouble finding hardscape that fits into the small opening on this tank :)

advice and feedback kindly accepted :)!

best, Asger

Attachments

• IMG_20120425_124526.jpg
    IMG_20120425_124526.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20120426_103002.jpg
    IMG_20120426_103002.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20120426_103105.jpg
    IMG_20120426_103105.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20120426_103116.jpg
    IMG_20120426_103116.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 150
CherryBarb123 said:
Looks great! I love Fluval Edges :) It looks really nice

Thanks! Im really enthusiastic about it as well, but it bums me out that it's so hard to find rocks that could help me create the illusion of a mountain, without having to cut them up and glue them back together in the tank. :)

Thanks

Thanks you two :) im now thinking of attaching the moss to some rocks instead and planting an HC carpet. Any experience growing HC? My stocking idea so far is a betta, some schooling tetras or similar and some snails and shrimp :)

I've been reading that I should remove the carbon media from the filter, when I'm done cycling in a month or something, but what should I use instead? Another biological media (some white pellets) or a mechanical media (that white foam stuff :p)? Hope anyone knows :)

best, Asger

Asgerlund said:
Thanks you two :) im now thinking of attaching the moss to some rocks instead and planting an HC carpet. Any experience growing HC? My stocking idea so far is a betta, some schooling tetras or similar and some snails and shrimp :)

I don't have any experience with HC but am attempting my first carpet of HM (got IDed as HM but still not 100% in that lol). You need lots if light, ferts and co2. I'm not using co2. I'm attempting just glut (excel) for carbon. If you ask in the planted tank section you'll get some more answers. Bettas a good choice IMO. Look into nano fish for the school. Here is a good list I found. Not all are suitable with bettas and the bumblebees are brackish.

Asgerlund said:
I've been reading that I should remove the carbon media from the filter, when I'm done cycling in a month or something, but what should I use instead? Another biological media (some white pellets) or a mechanical media (that white foam stuff :p)? Hope anyone knows :)

best, Asger

IMO you'd be better off ditching it now and replacing it with something else. Sponge or ceramic rings/pellets is fine. Both will grow bacteria well.

Oh... I read that I should be able to grow HC with weekly fertilization and daily adding liquid carbon-stuff. maybe i shouldnt have gotten my hopes up :p Thanks for the advice - the carbon is being removed as we speak!

Maybe I should look into HM... what is that? ;)

I'll look into that then. :) have any of you ever tried moving with your tanks? Im thinking that i might postpone carpet planting since i know im moving in july. And im guessing its a hell uprooting those :) what do you think?

Just for fun I did the calculations- your tank is 11.5 gallons
Lol
BTW looks great!

Asgerlund said:
I'll look into that then. :) have any of you ever tried moving with your tanks? Im thinking that i might postpone carpet planting since i know im moving in july. And im guessing its a hell uprooting those :) what do you think?

With such a small tank I'd think moving would be quite simple. You'd be able to leave a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank to keep the plants damp during the move.

Mumma.of.two said:
With such a small tank I'd think moving would be quite simple. You'd be able to leave a few inches of water in the bottom of the tank to keep the plants damp during the move.

Really!??!! That is awesome! I just kept reading everywhere that my tank would crack and be way to heavy :) i am only moving like 10 miles so that would really be great :)

IMO it would be fine. I've moved small tanks from house to house with gravel in them. If your worried you can slide the tank onto a thick piece of ply to support the bottom while it's lifted.

Mumma.of.two said:
IMO it would be fine. I've moved small tanks from house to house with gravel in them. If your worried you can slide the tank onto a thick piece of ply to support the bottom while it's lifted.

That sounds like something for me! :) thanks a lot. Im planning to add some shrimp and a betta tomorrow so im psyched B-)

I have now added a beautiful crowntail betta to the tank along with some amano and RCS. I feel lucky that not only the betta finds the small opening to breathe, but he accepts the shrimp and the dwarf/pygmy catfish kinda thing i got as well :) and two a. helena i got for free from a buddy. My next goal is to plant some more and finally add 12 ember tetras :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120503_100321.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120503_100321.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20120503_100340.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120503_100340.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 107
Anybody knows what could kill my Helenas? The water values are fine and there is a lot of oxygen. One morning they were frozen out of their shells like in a cramp :( I felt sorry for them but the fish aren't showing sign of distress at all, and as I said, the water is fine?

Just a final update :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120522_122213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120522_122213.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom