My Fluval EBI tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to give a preview of my current work in progress planted tank.

It's a fluval EBI, 2 stock lights (I bought a second) and the stock filter.
It currently has a second HOB filter that will eventually be used for another future tank build, it's just there getting all nice and full of bacteria in the mean time.
The substrate is a mix of fine gravel (forgot the brand) and fluval shrimp stratum.

It's got a pretty random mix and match of plants at the moment, most of which I can't even remember the names. The hard scape is currently floating in my fish pond to sink so ill update it when I add the driftwood (2 pieces of gold vine)

I'm also using ADA green brighty step 2 as ferts and I'm rather happy with this product!

The current stocking is JUST to keep the cycle (two platies, one female betta, 2 small mystery snails and a sucking catfish to help with the Algae) all these fish with the exception of the betta will be re-homed to my mums 30 gallon community tank, the betta will recieve her own tank in due time!

My stocking will eventually be one male dwarf gourami and possibly some red cherry shrimp but I'm not sure how the two will mix (so much conflicting information on the net)

Enjoy!

Edit: sorry for the blurry photos, they look so clear on my phone until I upload them somewhere *hating iPhone 5*

Attachments

• image-4062084417.jpg
    image-4062084417.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 231
  • image-852981974.jpg
    image-852981974.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 210
  • image-4055606526.jpg
    image-4055606526.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image-157185278.jpg
    image-157185278.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 239
Whar kind of fish do you think would be good in there.. I was thinking orange barbs

The driftwoods almost finished sinking, I boiled the first piece for 5 hours after 2 weeks of it not sinking and it finally did, now I just have to do the second piece then I can start rescaping!

Which ones? I actually have no idea what plants they are :p I just got them because they were pretty! Shame on me!

Which ones? I actually have no idea what plants they are :p I just got them because they were pretty! Shame on me!

Hahaha shame on you! Check this page, tropica.com here you can search your plants and what to do to they grow healthy and fast, i think they are from Denmark

I got one of my pieces of driftwood in, the second is still floating, grr! I might not even add the second piece anyway thinking it will be too crowded, we will see :)

I also got my little dwarf gourami! He's so cute and looks perfect in the tank, I did a 50% water change before adding him.

Eventually I might add some floating plants to block a little of the light for him :D

Let me know what you guys think!!

Attachments

• image-4196156.jpg
    image-4196156.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 169
  • image-2508614807.jpg
    image-2508614807.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 154
New picture and additions!

I added my other driftwood and stuffed it with plants! I think it personally looks amazing! Much better in my opinion!

Ill be buying some different floating plants to make the gouramis feel safe, any suggestions?

I also added 4 sparking gouramis, I was so excited with I saw them!! Hopefully they will look amazing and colour up, and also get along with each other!

The big sword that's floating is going to be donated to mums tank :)

Attachments

• image-5172361.jpg
    image-5172361.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 132
Well I have decided to just pull the entire tank down. Again.

After weeks of .25-.50 ammonia that just wouldn't go down and it not cycling at all for months and losing my little gourami, 2 sparkling gouramis and an otto I'm just done.

Ill be rebuilding it eventually with different substrate since I believe the fluval shrimp stratum is the cause of all these issues (never had a problem until I added it) and start the cycle from the beginning again.

In the first pictures?

If it is that's a female fighting fish (betta) she actually turned out to be male and I rehomed him in the end.

Well I have decided to just pull the entire tank down. Again.

After weeks of .25-.50 ammonia that just wouldn't go down and it not cycling at all for months and losing my little gourami, 2 sparkling gouramis and an otto I'm just done.

Ill be rebuilding it eventually with different substrate since I believe the fluval shrimp stratum is the cause of all these issues (never had a problem until I added it) and start the cycle from the beginning again.

Ugh...
I soo don't want to break my tank down. I do water changes 5-6 x week. Still .25-.50
I put some live plants hoping that will help.

I changed everything last night, totally brand new gravel (and just gravel no stratum!) and cleaned all the glass and gave a good clean to the filter too :)

Going to do a water test after I arrive from work to see where we stand, there should be no trace of anything since its clean water, but you never know..

When im talking about weeks not cycling I mean since February!

I added 3 more sparkling gouramis today, bringing the total to 4 :) fingers crossed this lot live!

No, I have a habit of saving fish from fish shops and giving them away in the end! Haha!
Currently there's only 4 sparkling gouramis, a small mystery snail and an otto :)

I ended up doing a 60% water change then adding live plants and some driftwood I bought at my lfs. It was in their tank, full of bacteria. All is well now in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom