My goldies' 40 gallons aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
This tank is old! i cant upgrade it coz of my parents!! I brought it back in 2002 so is the fantail!! the red cap oranda is only about 1 year old! i have an eheim pro 2 2028, a 150W rena heater, an air pump cant remember the brand of it but i pumps about 600 liters of air per hour, small driftwood and just a mix of fabric plants!

so tell me what u think and drop off any suggestions or ideas u have for me to improve my tank overall presentation but yet safe for my goldies! i said safe because i recently removed a desert rock that was doin more damage then good if any (u can see quite a few white scales on my fantail)!

Thank y'all for read and viewing! hope u like it!
033.jpg

032.jpg

028.jpg

034.jpg

That looks great! You could switch to live plants... It would definitely give it some flare!

That looks great! You could switch to live plants... It would definitely give it some flare!

ive tried once before but that once when i had no knowledge in aquatic plants.
but i definitely want to try again sometime this year! i do have a couple of question thou. my Ph is currently at 7.6! and if i do add aquasoil its gonna bring it down dramatically! i dont think im willing to put my goldies through that! do u have any idea how i can avoid this?

Hubert90 said:
ive tried once before but that once when i had no knowledge in aquatic plants.
but i definitely want to try again sometime this year! i do have a couple of question thou. my Ph is currently at 7.6! and if i do add aquasoil its gonna bring it down dramatically! i dont think im willing to put my goldies through that! do u have any idea how i can avoid this?

Don't use aquasoil! Sand, Eco complete, and fine gravel (like you have) would work fine, if not better. You'll need about 2.5-3 inches of substrate, so you will need more, and root tabs, if you grow anything that is a root feeder. I'd give it a shot. Fort384 and mdfrookie are really good at this sort of thing, so you can pm them (or me... But I'm still figuring this out) if you have any questions.

alright ill look into it. im very new to plants. i currently have a newly planted 10 gallon. ill see how it goes! if it all works out! ill give it a shot :D

Hubert90 said:
alright ill look into it. im very new to plants. i currently have a newly planted 10 gallon. ill see how it goes! if it all works out! ill give it a shot :D

Cool! Keep us updated!

The bad thing with live plants and goldies is the fish will eat the plants. I think there are a few types that they don't eat, but I can't remember what they are. I tried live plants with my goldies before and they uprooted everything and had themselves a nice salad. Gave it up. They'll have to deal with plastic plants.

The bad thing with live plants and goldies is the fish will eat the plants. I think there are a few types that they don't eat, but I can't remember what they are. I tried live plants with my goldies before and they uprooted everything and had themselves a nice salad. Gave it up. They'll have to deal with plastic plants.

+1

The plants I have that my Moors eat can get shredded in no time. The ones they don't like to eat get pulled up because, well because goldies are mischievous lol. But, I don't mind because I'm for ever wanting to aquascape the tank anyway and they give me an excuse.

Goldies love Anacharis.

BeavisMom62 said:

Haha ya I had very similar outcome the last time I tried. But mr limpet on this forum seems to be doing fine with goldfish and plants! I think the trick is to feed them regular vege based food and add many plants at once to confuse them! Haha

Hubert90 said:
Haha ya I had very similar outcome the last time I tried. But mr limpet on this forum seems to be doing fine with goldfish and plants! I think the trick is to feed them regular vege based food and add many plants at once to confuse them! Haha

I take back my word! Haha I was typing when mr limpet replied!! Haha

Mr. Limpet said:
+1

The plants I have that my Moors eat can get shredded in no time. The ones they don't like to eat get pulled up because, well because goldies are mischievous lol. But, I don't mind because I'm for ever wanting to aquascape the tank anyway and they give me an excuse.

Goldies love Anacharis.

I love ur dedication! Haha how often do u replace ur plants?

LOL, Hubert. I'm not very good with plants, so it didn't take me long to give up on the goldies tank. I do have one planted tank, a 23 gal flatback hex with a male betta, some ADF's and two BN's. It looks pretty good. Not great, but I'm still learning. What is frustrating is that I am a gardener. I can grow anything in a pot, but not in a tank!

BeavisMom62 said:
LOL, Hubert. I'm not very good with plants, so it didn't take me long to give up on the goldies tank. I do have one planted tank, a 23 gal flatback hex with a male betta, some ADF's and two BN's. It looks pretty good. Not great, but I'm still learning. What is frustrating is that I am a gardener. I can grow anything in a pot, but not in a tank!

HAHAHA!! I too am a noob to aquatic plants! But u have to be a noob before u are a pro right? And i too have a planted 10 gallon with a male betta! Omg twins??

I love ur dedication! Haha how often do u replace ur plants?

I rescaped 4 days ago and because I hid the moss ball under some rocks so it could recover, my panda fantail got PO'd (his favorite chew toy) and decided to tear up 5 or 6 plants in retaliation lol. Needless to say, time for another rescape already.

Back
Top Bottom