My new 125g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello!

I finally got my bigger tank yesterday! Like the title says it's 125g. It was used and I got it for a steal ($100 with glass lids)!

Filtration: AQ110 HOB, Topfin60 HOB, API Nexx Canister, Fluval 304 Canister. (I'll be buying Fluval fx5 soonish and just using the fx5 + AQ110). All of the filters are already established from my other tanks.

Stocking: I'm going to be moving my African assorted 55g tank and my EBJD / Senegal Bichir all into this 125g. Some of my African's will be re-homed today and I will be getting more (larger) occupants. I'll be keeping my 3+" Africans such as my Albino Zebra, Venustus, 2 Afra's, 2 Labs, Kenyi, etc.. I will be adding a beautiful 6" Frontosa that my LFS has and a couple more 4-5" Kenyi as well as some equivalent sized Red Tops.

Decor/plants/lighting: Nothing special. I'll be using PFS from my old tanks and all the lace rock from my 55g. I use fake plants and cheap lighting. :)

Last night I cleaned out the tank really well and filled it up in the garage to make sure there wasn't any leaks.Right now the tank is draining from my leak test last night. I'll be busy today relocating some of the fish and getting the new tank in place.

Stay tuned later today for some updates!

Attachments

• 2012-02-09 22.49.56.jpg
    2012-02-09 22.49.56.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 2012-02-09 23.22.41.jpg
    2012-02-09 23.22.41.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 213
Here's some eye candy while you wait.

My beauty EBJD girl.

Attachments

• P1170926.JPG
    P1170926.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 228
I got it all set up yesterday! Moved all my pre-existing substrate and rocks/decor and the filtration off the other tanks.

2012-02-10 13.23.52.jpg
(fishless pic)

My JD really loved that fake tree and cover on the left. She would always hang out in it in my other tank so I decided to make one side planted and the other side open with just rocks as you can see. This kinda allows some cover from fish if they are getting picked on (none so far).

Last night I took all my smaller africans to my LFS. I knew I couldn't keep the real tiny ones with my JD. She straight traded me 8 baby's for 6 bigger (~6") fish for my new tank.

Current stock:

1x EBJD
1x Senegal Bichir
1x Frontosa
2x large Tinfoil Barbs (dithers)
2x Kenyi (1m/1f)
2x Afra
1x Albino Red Zebra
1x Acei
2x OB Peacocks
1x Yellow Lab
1x Cobalt Blue
1x BN Pleco

I'll try to get some good pictures of them today.

Added today:

1x Red Zebra
1x Large tinfoil barb (to make 3 total)
1x Kenyi (another female so the male spreads his aggression)
1x Tropheus
1x Firemouth

Still need to slide some black paper behind the tank to black it out. Forgot to paint it, was being impatient :p

steez said:
Still need to slide some black paper behind the tank to black it out. Forgot to paint it, was being impatient :p

Wow looks great man. Those tinfoils are HUGE!

Thanks man!

Yeah they are awesome, haha. Big dithers for lots of cichlids!

So far so good with the tank. JD gets along with everyone and there hasn't been any bullying yet.

Dunno if anyone is even watching this thread.

steez said:
So far so good with the tank. JD gets along with everyone and there hasn't been any bullying yet.

Dunno if anyone is even watching this thread.

I am!! Sounds great so far!

Water changes on that thing must suck lol

Haha thanks G!

I was doing 50% water changes weekly on my 55g and my 40g. I'm thinking probably about 40% water change weekly on this tank. It takes time to really know what my water change schedule will be, i'll be testing nitrAtes twice a week to kinda get a feel for the tanks nitrAtes and how fast they shoot up over the week.

I rarely test for ammonia/nitrite just because I know it's cycled. I'll test for ammonia/nitrIte once a week for the next month just to make sure I didn't overstress the bacteria with the new fish.

steez said:
Haha thanks G!

I was doing 50% water changes weekly on my 55g and my 40g. I'm thinking probably about 40% water change weekly on this tank. It takes time to really know what my water change schedule will be, i'll be testing nitrAtes twice a week to kinda get a feel for the tanks nitrAtes and how fast they shoot up over the week.

I rarely test for ammonia/nitrite just because I know it's cycled. I'll test for ammonia/nitrIte once a week for the next month just to make sure I didn't overstress the bacteria with the new fish.

Definitly sounds like a good plan. I was going to say, test for ammo and trite for the first bit, but after that there really is no need. NitrAte is the big one.

The tank is so big, that it will be pretty tough for harmful levels to build up. 40% once a week will be perfect

thats a sweet tank. beautiful fish too. where did you find a tank that cheap??

Back
Top Bottom