My new Betta and her tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekat87

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-2426852293.jpg

Love my new betta, decided to name her Blue. This is the first time I have kept one so any advice would be great

She looks like my Violet. Pretty girl. Keep her water clean & warm & she should do great. How big is the tank & how long has it been running? If its newly set up you'll want to test the water daily to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & do water changes to keep it safe for her. Also it looks like the filter outflow is pretty strong so keep an eye on her & baffle it if she doesn't seem to settle in the next couple of days. Too strong of a flow can keep her stressed & you don't want that. My Violet loses her colors when stressed, which looks like your girl. When she settles she'll probably be a beautiful dark color. Feed her pellets & once or twice a week give her frozen blood worms and/or Brine Shrimp & she'll be super happy. I drop a pellet, wait until its eaten then drop another that way I can see how much they'll eat without over feeding. Mine get 3-4 pellets daily with one day fasting, on the days I feed frozen foods they don't get pellets. You'll enjoy having her, she'll get excited when she sees you & come to the side of the tank you're on. Oh & word of warning - you can't have just one, LOL.

Thanks for the advice, I already love her to bits and her personality is really starting to come through. She enjoyed her bloodworm I gave her yesterday and I have Tetra Pro colour food for her.

The tank has been running for about 4 days but I used a sponge from a well established tank in the filter and have done a 50% water change today.

I've read up about the outflow and was gonna turn it down but when I pour water in after a water change she swims straight to the top and into the flow as though she was enjoying the current. Is this normal, should I still turn it down????

Kitekat87 said:
Thanks for the advice, I already love her to bits and her personality is really starting to come through. She enjoyed her bloodworm I gave her yesterday and I have Tetra Pro colour food for her.

The tank has been running for about 4 days but I used a sponge from a well established tank in the filter and have done a 50% water change today.

I've read up about the outflow and was gonna turn it down but when I pour water in after a water change she swims straight to the top and into the flow as though she was enjoying the current. Is this normal, should I still turn it down????

LOL. It can be. I baffled my 3 10g tanks filter outflows & my Bettas seem happier & it makes it easier when feeding because the pellets aren't flying all over the place. My one male will actually get into the baffle (plastic bottle wrapped around the outflow of an HOB) & lay in the current but overall I think they prefer less current. I don't have the filter in my 46g baffled because it's a larger tank & they have areas they can get out of the current. I'd just keep an eye on her, the pic makes her look like she's may be stressed so just watch her & you'll know if you need to do anything.

Blue is doing really well and settled down nicely, she is looking a lot less stressed

Attachments

• image-1943203010.jpg
    image-1943203010.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 135
shellieca said:
She looks like my Violet. Pretty girl. Keep her water clean & warm & she should do great. How big is the tank & how long has it been running? If its newly set up you'll want to test the water daily to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates & do water changes to keep it safe for her. Also it looks like the filter outflow is pretty strong so keep an eye on her & baffle it if she doesn't seem to settle in the next couple of days. Too strong of a flow can keep her stressed & you don't want that. My Violet loses her colors when stressed, which looks like your girl. When she settles she'll probably be a beautiful dark color. Feed her pellets & once or twice a week give her frozen blood worms and/or Brine Shrimp & she'll be super happy. I drop a pellet, wait until its eaten then drop another that way I can see how much they'll eat without over feeding. Mine get 3-4 pellets daily with one day fasting, on the days I feed frozen foods they don't get pellets. You'll enjoy having her, she'll get excited when she sees you & come to the side of the tank you're on. Oh & word of warning - you can't have just one, LOL.

My betta isn't eating Anything!!!

What are you offering? Also if it's a new fish it might just be a bit stressed after the move, how long has it not been eating for? You can normally tell if a betta is stressed because they will have stripes down their body, like mine had on her first day
First pic is day 1 and second pic is 1 week.

Attachments

• image-1482875730.jpg
    image-1482875730.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-824731.jpg
    image-824731.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 65
Avery said:
My betta isn't eating Anything!!!

How long has she not been eating? You've had her a couple weeks, right? What are you feeding her? They can be a bit picky. Have you tested you're water lately? Test results? What about water changes, how often, how much? It's probably something simple like flake vs pellet but I want to cover all the possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom