My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alia258 said:
You shouldn't actually bury the bottom of the stems! You need to use an anchor to keep them above the ground and let them root themselves! Otherwise the whole plant will rot from the bottom up, and it won't ever grow roots! Or, at least, that's what I was told!

I've never heard of that. Burying the bottom of stem plants is completely fine.

Boogety48 said:
Uh oh. I watched a few videos on youtube of how to do a planted tank and every one that I watched that's what they said to do. To trim off any leaves and make sure the stem was firm and just stick in it the substrate. Now you have me a little worried. They don't seem to be having any trouble yet but I'll keep an eye on them.

We've trimmed our plants and they're continued to grow, we just buried it in our gravel substrate

But when I did it, put them in the dirt, the bottoms of the plants did rot. At least, that we my observation. So the person who told me that had some proof behind their claim. Am I just totally wrong?

alia258 said:
But when I did it, put them in the dirt, the bottoms of the plants did rot. At least, that we my observation. So the person who told me that had some proof behind their claim. Am I just totally wrong?

No, if it works for you it's fine. :)

Yeah, I guess you're right, I'll let them root themselves, it's a lot less stressful ^^

I'll watch them but like I said so far its been ok.
Does anacharis not like a lot of light? I'm noticing that the stems I planted in the back of my tank are a little greener than the ones closer to the front. The light I have hooked up shines more to the front of the tank.

They're low light plants, yes, but I think it's more likely the fact that the light is bleaching the leaves, since they're so thin. Just keep an eye on them, and I they grow brown spots, move them. ^^

Idk if you've put a background on your tank but you definitely should if you have not. Plain black background will give the tank alot of depth and make the plants and fish colors pop out and look better. Just thought I'd throw that out to ya. Tank looks really good tho nice job.

Idk if you've put a background on your tank but you definitely should if you have not. Plain black background will give the tank alot of depth and make the plants and fish colors pop out and look better. Just thought I'd throw that out to ya. Tank looks really good tho nice job.

I haven't added one yet but I'm going to do black when I get it done.

Good call. I think plain backgrounds always look the best and lets the focus stay on the tank plants and fish. Post pics when u get it done!

I don't have a background either, I was thinking this weekend I was gonna do lots of DIY tank stuff! (consisting of polymer clay to make stuff for the inside and some construction paper to make a background, I think I'll use black, then cu out a few fish and plants to go on the background or something) hey, you know those little blue air stones that you get with the 2g fish tanks? I put one of those in my 10g, cuz I wanted bubbles, but when I went and tried to bury it in the gravel, the bubbles stopped. Anyone have any good ideas to fix this?

What size air pump do you have and do you have more than one ting plugged into it? I had that problem as well but when I got a bigger air pump I switched it over and it worked just fine after that.

It's, like, an inch tall cylinder. The little blue ones you get with a 2g tank for betas, you know? I moved it into my tank for decoration purposes. When I tried to bury it in the gravel, the bubbles stopped. I'm just using the original pump as well :0

Ugh my catfish are moving the sand off my air stone and I have to re-bury it. It's sticking half way out of the sand. I also put my 10 gallon back together today. I'm going to let it settle overnight and put a guppy in it to cycle it.

I've noticed that the closer to the surface, the more bubbles come out, so I think I'm dealing with a depth issue here. Worst case scenario, I just keep it at a lower depth. My sister has a different pump that looks similar th the ones on your link, I think I'll use hers and replace it with mine and see what happens (since it won't matter to her beta what kind of pump is used)

Back
Top Bottom