my new vampire shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a pair of bamboo shrimp in my community tank for about 5-6 months and they did great intel I changed my air stone out to one that wasn't buried under the gravel and under this decor and they slowly started to pick the gravel for food and didn't make it , so from my experience I would set up something under a current so they can feed better

Hey siva, any luck on the shrimp? Mine has decided that burying under my cave during the day is his new official home lol, and at night he's out feeding until daylight. Very interesting critter.

I was going to drive down there today to take my daughters friend home but it looks like her dad is going to pick her up instead. I reeeeeeaally wanted to go to the lfs down there to look for the vamp and pick up a zebra pleco but it's a 2 hr drive one way so if I can save the gas I better. :( The price on shipping to order them would prob he half what I'd spend in gas so I might go that route if I can find them online.

Does it actually burrow into the substrate?

There is a cave, and he's burrowed under it, pushing sand out all around it. I acidentially picked it up lookn for him and discovered him, and all my cherrys under there chilln. He's back under there, and I've even caught the kuhlis chilln with him (he's everybodys new buddy apparently) I read on another forum this guys burried itself in the corner in deeper sand. Would eco complete, or flourite hurt my vampire, I was going to get that now actually ...

Saw this thread a while ago when I still had a shrimp phobia. The Amanos in my 10usg cured me of that so I want to the lfs today and they had one of these bad boys sooooo he is now hiding in a log in my tank :D I had no idea these existed till this thread, so thanks for introducing me to them. Not sure the old fart is going to be quite so impressed.....

Hippy guy I saw one of my bamboo shrimp catch and eat a ramshorn snail last night! I wasn't expecting that from a filter feeder.

I keep several bamboo shrimp in my 40 gallon community and they are awesome! I would LOVE a vampire shrimp, but I haven't been able to find any here. I live in a small town. The shrimp are some of my favorite tank inhabitants. Soooooooooooo fun to watch. I have never seen mine catch any living thing though siva, that is awesome!

It ate a snail?? Was it a baby snail..or.. I'm confused haha. I will say, however my vampire has picked up quite a few blood worms off the ground with somthiing other than filter fans. He also loves baby brine

It was an almost full size ramshorn. I was pretty surprised. Everything I've read on them says they are strictly a filter feeder. I know it wasn't out of desperation though because I supplement them all the time.

Maybe he's just getting brave, lol. That's super odd, mine are safe so far, but to be honest, if he wants a snail I guess he could...

Back
Top Bottom