Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Smile My RCS & Mickey Mouse Platy, & other Platy

These are my RCS (Edith & Ann), eating large pieces of peas. This is also a picture of Minnie, my Mickey Mouse Platy. She is very sweet and tame. She eats out of my hand. There is also a picture of Sunny, my other Platy.She is constant motion.:p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	30511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	30512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	30513  

Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought this was a great picture of the relatively shy RCS. Doesn't anybody else think so?? No one has said anything. I thought you all would be interested in the RCS since a few of you recommended me getting them. Ignore the artificial plants that I know you all don't like. The purpose was to showcase the inhabitants of my tank. These guys are fascinating!!

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Old 03-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice!!

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #4

I like artificial plants! They allow me to focus in the fish, they don't die, and always have nice color. Plus they're cheap. Your tank looks great!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for responding!. A number of my RCS died right after I brought them home. Only three out of eight have survived. There was a tiny little ammonia spike right after I got them, and I lost three of them. Two died the day after I brought them home, but the three that remain are mighty little guys. They have really kept the tank clean! They also are so neat to watch( when they come out), which is usually at mealtime. They navigate all over the tank and really intimidate the fish who dare to get too close to them. It is funny to watch how they face down my platys! I think I might get a few more. I am going to post a few more tank pictures. I added a blue background, moved my heating unit to the side, and added some more natural looking "fake" plants. I would love to add real plants but my husband is not too trilled with the idea. Maybe later on. I really would like to eventually get a bigger tank so maybe then I can go natural. One step at a time!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
I like artificial plants! They allow me to focus in the fish, they don't die, and always have nice color. Plus they're cheap. Your tank looks great!
My plants never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfisher View Post
Thank you for responding!. A number of my RCS died right after I brought them home. Only three out of eight have survived.
How did you acclimate them? Once they get established, most FW shrimp are fairly hardy... but they can be very finicky when adding to a new tank. For the future, if you didn't do so the first time, I would recommend:

Place them into a bucket with the water they came in. Use drip acclimation or add about 10% of the volume of water they came from from your tank every 10-15 minutes. After about 2 hours of this (or get the total volume in your bucket to 3-4 times the original volume of the water they came in), use a small cup to transfer the shrimp from the bucket to your tank. Yes, some of the original water will end up in your tank... but it will be very diluted and only a small amount. This is crucial step imo... they get very fragile if you use a net and they are exposed to air from my experience.

Before I used this method, I would inevitably lose a few shrimp each time... after I started using this method, I have not lost a single shrimp.

Very nice looking tank btw!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fort: Thank you for the suggestions concerning acclimation of new RCS. No I did not do those steps. I followed the suggestions of the LFS and floated the bag for the requisite 20 minutes and netted them into the tank. Yeah...I know ...I did everything wrong...including listening to the infamous LFS. Next time I will do it the right way! Thank you for the kind words concerning my tank. I have done some new things with it, with more coming. My husband took the pictures that I posted showing the shrimp and platys. He has a better camera than I do. I will post some more updated tank pictures in the next few days.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384

My plants never die

Very nice looking tank btw!
I'm on a 13 year old budget... I can't afford to deal with live plants... And I don't have the time either. But it's a cool process, I just like fake better.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Home dog: Every plant I try to grow in my home and outside it, I manage to kill so I suspect in an aquarium setting I would not be much better (: I would like to try sometimes just not now. I still am too much of a newbie in learning how to raise fishes and other such critters without causing their demise

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #10

Ha that's cool. I'm just a plastic plant person with a really scrawny budget.

Tags
ick, platy, rcs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com