My sons new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a seller where I live that specializes in fish and he said that I can have 3 glo with three platies, as long as I am going to upgrade to la larger tank after a yr, which I am.

There is a seller where I live that specializes in fish and he said that I can have 3 glo with three platies, as long as I am going to upgrade to la larger tank after a yr, which I am.

He is wrong. Glo fish need schools of six or more, like zebra danios, and they need twenty long gallon tanks. He is probably trying to make a sale. Trust your own research over those of fish stores unless you are certain you can trust them. This one seems untrustworthy if he's advising three glo fish in a ten gallon.

Well, honestly, fish keeping seems to be opinion based. I have always said ''everyone is a fish expert.'' but , the decision is down to you. One fish keeper may say something that another cries foul at. This is why it is best to do research and not rely really on what one person says. Not saying people on here or your lfs keeper is wrong, but I can see where the store keeper is coming from. He is looking at a 'fine'point of view, whereas we here at this site look at it from 'matching habitat' point of view. For instance, i have 3 neons in my 29. Sure, it is said you need 5 or more for them to ''work'' (whatever that means) but they still school together, glow bright, and eat fine. But regardless, I plan on getting more to correct this, to match their habitat. My expert lfs keeper informed me 3 is fine, and that person seems very knowledgeable when it comes to fish and tank sizes. At that time, when I didn't know about schooling, they were fine, and would have probably still be fine in the future if I didn't plan on adding more. ( Sorry if I offended anyone, but just my thoughts, I mean nothing but respect).

Brandon K.A said:
Well, honestly, fish keeping seems to be opinion based. I have always said ''everyone is a fish expert.'' but , the decision is down to you. One fish keeper may say something that another cries foul at. This is why it is best to do research and not rely really on what one person says. Not saying people on here or your lfs keeper is wrong, but I can see where the store keeper is coming from. He is looking at a 'fine'point of view, whereas we here at this site look at it from 'matching habitat' point of view. For instance, i have 3 neons in my 29. Sure, it is said you need 5 or more for them to ''work'' (whatever that means) but they still school together, glow bright, and eat fine. But regardless, I plan on getting more to correct this, to match their habitat. My expert lfs keeper informed me 3 is fine, and that person seems very knowledgeable when it comes to fish and tank sizes. At that time, when I didn't know about schooling, they were fine, and would have probably still be fine in the future if I didn't plan on adding more. ( Sorry if I offended anyone, but just my thoughts, I mean nothing but respect).

No you didn't offend me, I agree. ?I don't think my seller is giving me wrong info just for the sell, his shop has been in business and is well known around here to be the "go to" shop if you want to do ANYTHING saltwater and have a great reputation. So I was a little put off when some tell me not to have them in a ten. My LFS told me I will need to go bigger no matter what but he said its fine for now. I do appreciate everyone's opinion though and don't mind if anyone wants to give more.?

I apologize for saying he was wrong. It's just that usually glo fish require 20 gallons or more. It's like keeping a betta fish in a half gallon tank. They can survive fine. Can they thrive? No.

I'd say go with the platies or neon tetras.

Yeah I agree with the platies, they really are my favorite fish! I'm Seriously looking its a DIY co2 for the live plants. Just not sure how to set it up. Does anyone know how or can show me a pic

Bettafanatic said:
I apologize for saying he was wrong. It's just that usually glo fish require 20 gallons or more. It's like keeping a betta fish in a half gallon tank. They can survive fine. Can they thrive? No.

I'd say go with the platies or neon tetras.

I agree. I like your example! Makes perfect sense! :)

Back
Top Bottom